Sign in to follow this  

KX450F 2009 Smelling Oil

I keep smelling oil when im riding I cant find a leak any where on the bike, but when im riding and stop i can smell oil. I run Rotella oil and have a Rekluse in the bike. Does anyone know why I keep smelling oil. Even thou its not leaking anywhere.

I keep smelling oil when im riding I cant find a leak any where on the bike, but when im riding and stop i can smell oil. I run Rotella oil and have a Rekluse in the bike. Does anyone know why I keep smelling oil. Even thou its not leaking anywhere.

It's possible you just got oil on the header or cylinder from you last oil change, and it's burning off. You should change your oil twice as often with the Rekluse, as it is constantly slipping and wearing the fiber plates. If you suspect oil is getting inside the combustion chamber, when your bike is fully warmed up, put your hand near the exuahst and let some soot build up; it should smell like burnt gas, not oil....if you do think you are burning oil, measure your next oil changes to see if you are loosing more than 50cc per oil change. If you are, you are burning too much, and probably need piston and rings, and have a look at the valve guides for blow by.

breather hose came loose, venting in the air? Might be smelling blowby gasses. I had to hook mine back up to the air filter assembly, previous owner had just stuck a little filter on the breather and vented it to the air. It irritated me to smell it at stops, so I modified it back to stock, kind of.

thanks for the info im going to check the breather hose, I dont think it the rings the bike doesnt have that many hours on it and the exhaust smells like gas and not oil.

If your smell'n it, it's leaking somewhere. Think about it... do the other bikes you are around smell like that? You said you smell it when you stop, does that mean when you shut the bike off or with the bike idling and your not moving?

There are a few hidden areas that are tough to see that may be leaking. Pull the spark plug boot and look in the tunnel for the plug. Check the valve cover very well, it could be leaking in the front.

The exhaust packing could be saturated with oil? It could be leaking around the drain bolt or between the cases.

You may need to remove the skid plate, wash the bike spotless, and then ride it in a dust free environment, like the road until you smell it. Then do your inspection meticulously.

are you running the conventional or synthetic?when i ran the conventional in mine i could smell it also,06kx450.if youve done all the checks previously mentioned i wouldnt worry about it...