Sign in to follow this  

problems with my buddies 98 rmx250 2 stroke

My buddy has a 98 rmx250. It don't seem to wanna wind out like any other 2 stroke its bogging at the top end of the gear. Like right now my brothers kx100 will out run it... and it sounds loosely built or sloppy. Is it just how these bikes are made or what? I'm no 2 stroke expert.

$$$yz400$$$

Clean air filter? Low compression? New plug? Correct jetting? Do some searching and I bet you will find something to help. If it sounds "loose" it may be due for a rebuild?

yeah, do what above poster sugg. the 98 rmx has loads of power down low thru top. although, they do fall off rather quick on top. i'd say ur prob. is more than likely carb related, without out knowing the total history of bike that is.

tony

Pull your plug is it Black and oily?If so your running too rich and need to jet down.If it is ashy white then your running too lean and could sieze the bike .The plug should look light brownish or tan. But just guessing it sounds like it might be running rich. My 89 RM 125 was running too rich thats probably why the guy sold it to me so cheap. The stock main is a 330 and the pilot is a 55 and that was what it had but the plug was oily and black and liked to foul out a lot. I jetted down to a 310 main and a 47.5 pilot 1 1/2 turns out and now the plug is a nice Tan and the bike screams and pulls the front end off the ground in the first three gears.

At first he thought his crank bearings were going out. Yea I now know for sure its a Carb problem... we took his air box lid off and the filter was in a million pieces there was acorns rat poo and a full grown dead chicken.... a chicken really how does that get in an air box that's completely sealed! ?