Sign in to follow this  

advice please! 07 400S <500 miles

I can pick up an 07 400 S with <500 miles for $3100. Only problem is it hasn't been ridden or started in 2 years. What are some of the things I should pay attn to when I go check this out. Are there some DRZ speciffic issues with a bike that has been sitting for this long?

thanks for any and al replys

I can pick up an 07 400 S with <500 miles for $3100. Only problem is it hasn't been ridden or started in 2 years. What are some of the things I should pay attn to when I go check this out. Are there some DRZ speciffic issues with a bike that has been sitting for this long?

thanks for any and al replys

it likely won't run, or idle, because the gas has gummed up the jets/needle/float/stuff.

if it runs, go for a short ride till it's warm and then change the oil and filter. see the FAQ section here and do the loctite fixes. then ride and enjoy.

oil changes mean every 1000 miles, that's one-thousand.

:-)

Edited by ohgood
...and filter....

When I was looking for my DRZ I found a few with very low miles....It's scary to me to buy a bike thats 4 to 6 years old with only 500 to 2,000 miles on the clock. Bikes need to be ran....sitting gas,oil,and fluids are all bad. I would rather spend $2800 to $3000 on a bike that had 9,000 to 12,000 on the clock and that has been taken care of.

Check the airfilter! There can be crap on it that gets into the intake and carb. My rule of thumb is usually to get new air filter, clean carb and change oil if possible before starting. But in this scenario you wouldn't know if it runs without starting it. I would check all those once you buy it if it runs good.;

I would at the very least dump the old fuel from the tank , lines and carb bowl if you haven't already started it...also change the oil and filter...

if it runs ok ,good, if not jet replacement and carb clean may be required...

A valve clearance check should be on your list of things to do...

I say buy it and you can sell it to me for $3,000.00 :bonk: If it actually has that for the miles, how could you go wrong. :smirk:

I could have bought a blue 07 s model with 2200 miles for 2 grand...conpletely stocked with 200lb rider worked suspension...that's a deal

Bring a flash light to inspect the interior of the gas tank for rust. Also, run your hands over the chain to see if it's gotten really stiff or has stuck rollers.

There's a chance that bike won't be reliable for a while. Little things will pop up that need to be dealt with so you should be prepared for this.

Steve

Has this bike been garaged? If so: maybe buy it.

first flush the fuel system and clean the jets; check the tank.

was the battery kept up with a Battery Tender? If not replace battery and get a tender. Then clean ALL connecters, connections with deoxit...especially the grounds and make sure to do the free power mod in the FAQ's. While in the FAQ start working your way through them. Time/money well spent. Do the lube for the swing arm and triple tree before riding.

have fun, the one with the biggest smile wins.

ps

what additions did he/she put on the bike? are extra parts coming with the bike? helmet?