Sign in to follow this  

Need help with rim/spoke issue

I bought an Excel wheel with a Honda hub with a paddle for my CRF450R. It's an 18" wheel. 4 spokes are broke so I bought a package of 1.85/2.15 18" Excel spokes and they were about 1-1.5" too long when I went to install them.

The package was opened already when I got it so I am wondering if some 19 inch spokes accidentally got put in the bag even though the bag was labeled correctly (18").

Anyways those were sent back and now I am wondering if I should try the Moose 18" spokes or if I should go with OEM Honda 450X spokes (18")?

Any ideas on what I need to buy or better yet, does anybody have a Moose 18" spoke laying around that they could measure for me so I can tell if they will work for my setup?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like they might have been 19 inch spokes.

Have you taken the wheel all the way apart or are you just replacing the broken spokes? The reason I ask is if you are replacing the complete set you may not have had it laced properly. It's real easy to get them in wrong and that is the usual outcome.

I lace wheels and I would not buy the Moose spokes. The only wheel I ever had come apart was one that we used Moose spokes on.

Sounds like they might have been 19 inch spokes.

Have you taken the wheel all the way apart or are you just replacing the broken spokes? The reason I ask is if you are replacing the complete set you may not have had it laced properly. It's real easy to get them in wrong and that is the usual outcome.

I lace wheels and I would not buy the Moose spokes. The only wheel I ever had come apart was one that we used Moose spokes on.

I am just replacing the 4 broken ones. I have taken one of the non broken inners and successfully put it where one of the broken outers was and I see no difference between the 2 at all. This is my first experience with rims/spokes however I am mechanical and understand the basics.

The reason I was looking at the Moose spokes is because I can get them individually. I want to keep costs down since this is just for a paddle that I will rarely run.

Oh yeah and the Excel spokes I bought was just a bag of 16 and they were all the same length (way too long).

Does someone have a stock 18" Honda spoke laying around they could measure overall length so I could see if it would work?