Sign in to follow this  

looking at a ktm 380... few questions

Hey everyone,

I am going to look at a 2000 ktm 380. I never owned a 2 stroke before just rode them. I have been looking online for a pdf manual for the bike and i found one but it didnt say how to change the trans fluid.

So im guessing the procedure is just drain and refil, is this correct? and what kind of fluid do you run in this, ive read gear oil, motorcle oil, atf? so im confused on this. sorry if its been asked before.

And is there anything in particular i should look at when i go to look at the bike?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I am going to look at a 2000 ktm 380. I never owned a 2 stroke before just rode them. I have been looking online for a pdf manual for the bike and i found one but it didnt say how to change the trans fluid.

So im guessing the procedure is just drain and refil, is this correct? and what kind of fluid do you run in this, ive read gear oil, motorcle oil, atf? so im confused on this. sorry if its been asked before.

And is there anything in particular i should look at when i go to look at the bike?

Thanks in advance.

I was just talking to my riding buddies about 380`s yesterday. The one thing that you need to know is that they are very prone to overheating. My one buddy has owned 3 and he said that he finally figured out that they he to run 110 octane and that seemed to fix the issue. This is because they are high output motors. Why not look at 250`s or 300`s

I was just talking to my riding buddies about 380`s yesterday. The one thing that you need to know is that they are very prone to overheating. My one buddy has owned 3 and he said that he finally figured out that they he to run 110 octane and that seemed to fix the issue. This is because they are high output motors. Why not look at 250`s or 300`s

This ones already set up street legal and all. It would be my bike to take out for some short rips around town and have some fun.

Whats involved in changing the trans fluid?

Changing the trans fluid is staightforward, drain and refill. 800cc. Any name brand gear oil is good. I personally use Redline superlight Shockproof gear oil. My ktm dealer pushes Maxima MTL transmission oil. Some use ATF, I prefer the gear oil.

I've only had a overheating issue once and that was my own fault. I was running it too lean when I was sorting out some jetting issues. I've run it thru tight, slow, sandy, nasty stuff and while my buddies 4 strokes boiled over, my 380 was fine.

Jetting can be a challenge on the 380's, no two are alike. I've got my 99 380exc setup to run a mix of race and pump gas. I've had cyl and head mods done and it's setup for some race fuel. A stock 380 should be okay on premium pump gas, compression should be checked. Anything around 200 on kicking compression should consider some race fuel, imho.

The kickstarter is a weak link. Make sure it feels solid. The kickstarter pawl can break if someone has abused it. You cant start a 380 like a 125. You need a nice strong kick, the whole way thru the stroke.

If the 380 looks to be good shape, runs good and is reasonably priced, I'd say get it. You wont be disappointed!