Sign in to follow this  

California Trail Club

The first rule of trail club is......:lol:

Thought I'd throw this out there and see who is interested.

I'm thinking the new horizon is making fun trails inside the fences.

Making trails is hard work, goats do it, mountain men did it, we can do it!

Why ride that whooped out trail? Most do it because it is the path of least resistance.:lol:

Me, I like a little warm up, then some Purgatory type hell, then some fast flowing to get the ac working and back to the workout again, repeat as often as necessary.:smirk:

We could get together once a month at different areas, burn in a new trail with interesting features, views and obstacles. Earn that beer, scratch those plastics. :bonk:

I've had my eye on a certain ridgeline/peak area right off a major hwy in a legal area.......looks like no one has gone before....

Watcha say? :lol:

deja vu! Didn't we just have this conversation last night?? :bonk:

Politically correct fun is my favorite kind!

J. Lee just departed my office and we discussed possible plans for the P's on 14th & 15th, so assuming you're on this side of state line lets discuss :smirk:

Politically correct? :lol::lol::smirk: We could only hope. I'm afraid that's not the general rule though....

Baja - it's already going on. Thank goodness. Mostly in areas with healthy amounts talented local riders - that's what seems to be the most successful way to open trail systems that are "off-the-grid". I can think of a couple areas in particular, but I'm not going to say them on the internet. For many, the mantra - "close one trail, and we'll open two more" is a lifestyle. :bonk: They've got their work cut out for them, but they do take it seriously. And you don't see them on Thumpertalk. At least not anymore.....

Especially in the forested / bushy areas / or remote locations, trailheads are disguised so as to be next to impossible to find them unless you know what you're looking for. Even in desert areas, there are ways to do it. These trails rarely bisect another trail, and in fact, steer clear of them for the most part. There are many effective ways to do this so that casual riders and the powers that be don't stumble on the trails. Making sure that the start of the trail and end of the trail do not T into a major trail/road, and disguising tracks via various methods seems to work in keeping these trails hidden for the most part. Some are visible from air much easier than finding them on the ground. I know one biker / hang-glider enthusiast who goes up, and takes pics / GPS coordinates from air to find the hidden stuff.

By the time the general riding public finds them, the guys burning them in have already moved on for the most part. And so it will be. Long after the herd is corralled into El Mirage or Gorman.

So, where do we sign up? Andrew and I have several areas we want to get more trails in. Oh and being PC .... I guess if I have to:lol:

Yes, it is going on. :smirk:

I have made some good stuff this last year. All legal. Alot of it utilizes existing and then starts the new stuff with a squid filter.....

The problem is it doesn't get ridden enough to burn it in or build berms.

Rain will help, isn't summer over yet?

Post up available dates and desired area(s) if interested. :bonk:

This reminds me of my first day at work at Starbucks. I didn't have a clue what anybody was talking about. Are stupid questions okay?

squid filter? I don't believe motorcycles actually have air conditioning so I'm completely lost on that one. Between all the different parts of an engine, seeing ad how I'm not that mechanically inclined and all the motorcycle vernacular I have a feeling it's going to be a sharp learning curve.

I want you to ride this weekend but the motorcycle I just bought won't start. I was thinking of taking the bike up to the Angeles Forest since the only place I've really been riding is out El Mirage when I was younger and out in the middle of the desert just a few weeks ago. Are there clubs you can join to ride with other people that no there way around?

Alex

Yes, it is going on. :bonk:

I have made some good stuff this last year. All legal. Alot of it utilizes existing and then starts the new stuff with a squid filter.....

Post up available dates and desired area(s) if interested. :smirk:

Overall are you thinking day rides, weekends or extended (3+) day weekends.

Preach!!!

This reminds me of my first day at work at Starbucks. I didn't have a clue what anybody was talking about. Are stupid questions okay?

squid filter? I don't believe motorcycles actually have air conditioning so I'm completely lost on that one. Between all the different parts of an engine, seeing ad how I'm not that mechanically inclined and all the motorcycle vernacular I have a feeling it's going to be a sharp learning curve.

I want you to ride this weekend but the motorcycle I just bought won't start. I was thinking of taking the bike up to the Angeles Forest since the only place I've really been riding is out El Mirage when I was younger and out in the middle of the desert just a few weeks ago. Are there clubs you can join to ride with other people that no there way around?

Alex

:lol: You're not related to White Gold by any chance are you?

Since it's so close to Christmas I'm still in the giving mood (which is not my nature)... For the most part Angeles Forest, except for Texas Canyon (that is Angeles, correct?) is off limit unless you have a plate. So you have a plate and what's wrong (assuming you know) with your bike?

This likely isn't the type of "club" you're looking for (unless you want a REALLY STEEP learning curve). If you're new, there's guys posting in the intermediate rides thread that may be a bit more suited for you...

I rode a lot with my uncle when I was in high school out at El Mirage but I never had my own bike. I hooked up with a buddy from high school who went out to the desert over Thanksgiving weekend and got back on a bike for the first time in years and had an absolute bla,st I didn't want to get it back to him. I'm not sure what you mean by having a plate but someone in the Honda section told me I might want to check my valve tolerances. Unfortunately for me I have no idea what that means. There's a lot of different sections on this website where is that intermediate riding thread you were talking about?

Hay I represent that remark. :smirk:

Alright, alright... I should have said "rides" more suited, not riders... :bonk:

I rode a lot with my uncle when I was in high school out at El Mirage but I never had my own bike. I hooked up with a buddy from high school who went out to the desert over Thanksgiving weekend and got back on a bike for the first time in years and had an absolute bla,st I didn't want to get it back to him. I'm not sure what you mean by having a plate but someone in the Honda section told me I might want to check my valve tolerances. Unfortunately for me I have no idea what that means. There's a lot of different sections on this website where is that intermediate riding thread you were talking about?

Depending on your bike, you'll either have a license plate, a green sticker or a red sticker (don't ask, it's a stupid registration thing). Judging by the rest of your post though, if I were to put on my detective hat, I'd say you've got a Honda CRF (valve issue) which is most likely a green sticker (if it's an X) or a red sticker (if it's an R).

Read: You're shit out of luck!

You give me to much credit, I was referring to the " new " part. :smirk:

Sorry to ruin a great topic with my dumb remarks , I will stop now.

I didn't realize you referring to a license plate when you said plate. I have a 2005 Honda CRF250X which has a current green sticker registration on it. Not sure why I'm shit out of luck though is it because of the valve issue or because of the license plate?

:smirk:

I didn't realize you referring to a license plate when you said plate. I have a 2005 Honda CRF250X which has a current green sticker registration on it. Not sure why I'm shit out of luck though is it because of the valve issue or because of the license plate?

This thread isn't really the place, but since we're brothers in arms now and bound by blood, I'll give you a friendly heads up. (check the signature line, you and I are rocking the same ride)

CRFs for the first few years of production had major valve issues (primarily the right intake valve), that would make the bike almost impossible to start when cold. Been there, done that more than once with my 250. Finally ended up replacing the head and installing stainless steel valves. If you're not mechanically inclined though, I would suggest calling Paul over at AS Racing, he's the ****ing man.

This forum is a great resource and has a lot of information, not only about motorcycles, but about where and who to ride with. Like most forums however (and like most bars) if you wander into the wrong thread (bar) asking a lot of stupid questions you're liable to get your ass kicked. Just figure out where you fit in, learn how to use the search function, and stay away from Bill P and Wayne. Those guys are savages. They'll **** you up, drink your beer and steal your woman without batting an eye!!

Call Paul, get your bike fixed, and ride on. :bonk:

Edited by Neversurfaced

Yes, it is going on. :smirk:

Post up available dates and desired area(s) if interested. :bonk:

I'm up for most any weekend, there are some things coming up that I can't account for, but pretty much anytime....(except for this one, I haven't had time to even clean my bike since last weekend)

Areas....hmmm I'm in Santa Clarita and there are some areas to the north of us that we're working on. But.......I'm down with anywhere in the dez .......Oh, you were talking legal:lol:

Edited by SILENTSHOK

:smirk:

This thread isn't really the place, but since we're brothers in arms now and bound by blood, I'll give you a friendly heads up. (check the signature line, you and I are rocking the same ride)

CRFs for the first few years of production had major valve issues (primarily the right intake valve), that would make the bike almost impossible to start with cold. Been there, done that more than once with my 250. Finally ended up replacing the head and installing stainless steel valves. If you're not mechanically inclined though, I would suggest calling Paul over at AS Racing, he's the ****ing man.

This forum is a great resource and has a lot of information, not only about motorcycles, but about where and who to ride with. Like most forums however (and like most bars) if you wander into the wrong thread (bar) asking a lot of stupid questions you're liable to get your ass kicked. Just figure out where you fit in, learn how to use the search function, and stay away from Bill P and Wayne. Those guys are savages. They'll **** you up, drink your beer and steal your woman without batting an eye!!

Call Paul, get your bike fixed, and ride on. :bonk:

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

Your a really nice guy Chad:p

stay away from Bill P and Wayne. Those guys are savages. They'll **** you up, drink your beer and steal your woman without batting an eye!!

Not necessarily in that order......:lol::smirk:

Chad (neversurfaced) on the other hand........well, let me put it to you this way Alex, you don't want to be out on a trail ride with chad and bend over to pick up a wrench or something......:bonk::lol:

:lol:

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

Your a really nice guy Chad:p

Hey, that's a kid as the gloves get. Like I said, it's the holidays :lol:

Not necessarily in that order......:lol::smirk:

Chad (neversurfaced) on the other hand........well, let me put it to you this way Alex, you don't want to be out on a trail ride with chad and bend over to pick up a wrench or something......:lol::lol:

:bonk:

Thanks for nothing Bill! Why'd you have to go and warn him? :lol: