Sign in to follow this  

Lowered Forks back to stock?

My son's 2008 WR 250F had the forks lowered by shortened springs by the P.O.

I want to get it back to stock hight. I ordered springs from Race Tech for his weight etc......

Can I simply replace the shortened springs with the new ones or is there something else that will need to be changed?

Thanks for any help.

Not only were shorter springs used but spacers were (certainly should of been) added. You'll find them when the legs are taken apart. Most likely there will be a spacer inside the shock too.

Thanks for the reply William1. I have replaced springs on other bikes with the forks still on the bike, from the top. Would I be able to access these spacers from the top once the spring is out?

Thanks for the reply William1. I have replaced springs on other bikes with the forks still on the bike, from the top. Would I be able to access these spacers from the top once the spring is out?

No. If the forks were lowered correctly, you have to remove tha damper cartridge and disassembe it to remove the spacer.

No. The fork spacer is between the upper and lower leg (like a bushing). You must disassemble the forks.

Also, measure the shock free length to see if there is a spacer installed in that too. Sometimes (incorrectly) people just add massive amounts of static sag to the rear shock to lower it but that can be dangerous when the rear suspension goes to full extension. There is nothing holding the collar on and it can come off, resulting in suspension failure and a nasty crash.

No. The fork spacer is between the upper and lower leg (like a bushing). You must disassemble the forks.

Also, measure the shock free length to see if there is a spacer installed in that too. Sometimes (incorrectly) people just add massive amounts of static sag to the rear shock to lower it but that can be dangerous when the rear suspension goes to full extension. There is nothing holding the collar on and it can come off, resulting in suspension failure and a nasty crash.

I just did one of these (on the exact same bike) and used Race Tech's lowering spacers for the fork and shock. The spacer is inside the damper cartridge. You have to remove the cartridge, grind the crimp off of the lock collar retainer and remove the lock collar and pull the damper rod shaft out of the cartridge. The spacer sits on top of the top-out spring INSIDE the cartridge assembly.

Thanks for the details. It helps a lot when you know what to expect before opening something up.