Sign in to follow this  

First Video - thx for suggestions

Here's my first video with a Hero2.

I mounted it on top of my helmet, first.

I thought I would like to get the handlebars in the field of view to add interest. However, this limits how much of the horizon the camera can see. Seems to make it hard to determine if I'm going up hill, down hill, or flat. What do you think?

I may raise camera angle and add more horizon and eliminate the handlebars. Or, I may move camera to the side of the helmet or onto my chest protector for a lower viewing angle to see more of the horizon and handlebars.

Suggestions please!!!

nice video what editing software??

I used the basic Microsoft video editor that came with my Toshiba laptop. I don't recall what it's called. I'm not on that machine, right now.

(Edit: It's Windows Live Movie Maker)

Edited by Sofiedog

i'm guessing your shooting in 720. You should try shooting in 960, make the video format in the editor 720 and move the video it up or down to get it where you want it.

IMO you see just enough handle bar, I don't like it when it's constantly down there, takes up frame that could show whats being ridden over. About the only way to make it easier to see any drops or give perspective to the terrain is have someone go in front of you. I usually have my camera aimed up even more then you. You can't usually see my handle bars, just the tip of my front fender. Cool trails and good riding.

cool vid but along with alot of hem cam vids its hard to tell just how steep a slope is. but it made me want to go ride lol

i'm guessing your shooting in 720. You should try shooting in 960, make the video format in the editor 720 and move the video it up or down to get it where you want it.

IMO you see just enough handle bar, I don't like it when it's constantly down there, takes up frame that could show whats being ridden over. About the only way to make it easier to see any drops or give perspective to the terrain is have someone go in front of you. I usually have my camera aimed up even more then you. You can't usually see my handle bars, just the tip of my front fender. Cool trails and good riding.

Thx for the feedback. I believe you are correct, that I shot it a 720. I think the camera came set up at 960 and I was shocked at how big the files were and how long they took to load in editing S/W, so I dropped it to 720, since I didn't think I would be viewing it at 960. I didn't think about your option to shoot at 960, then edit the FOV at 720 in the S/W. Good idea.

I'm riding this weekend with some friends who are faster, so I'll get some riders in the picture to help with the elevation perspective. I think I may also try raising the angle of the camera to just pick up the fender tip like you do to see more horizon and forget about the handlebars.

I've seen some videos on chest mounts, and they're interesting. You definitely get to see the bike jumping around a lot. I wear a chest protector, so I could mount the camera to it.

i thought the angle was pretty good. im just glad you didnt have half your visor in the shot, i hate that! good job for your 1st video.

Took your suggestions. Here's the same trail with camera angle raised to only see the tip of the front fender, most of the time. I also have a rider in the picture at times which seems to help the perspective. I think I'll stick with this camera position and angle for a while? Pls let me know what you think.

Took your suggestions. Here's the same trail with camera angle raised to only see the tip of the front fender, most of the time. I also have a rider in the picture at times which seems to help the perspective. I think I'll stick with this camera position and angle for a while? Pls let me know what you think.

It looks really good. I like when you can see just a little bit of sky in the frame sometimes. I think in your first video there were a lot of times where the camera cut the end of the trail out of view. when you can see beyond the trail it it gives a better video that's more interesting to watch, and shifts the focus of the video. That looks like an awesome riding area. Have you started messing with brightness, contrast, color correction, ect?

Having someone in front of the camera on the trail also really helps see the roughness, slopes and speed. It must be nice to be the person with the friend with a helmet cam, i always end up eating roost trying to get good shots.