Sign in to follow this  

Torque question

Can someone please explain to me ***- 7.0 N.m means? is that 7 pounds of torque on my wrench? It might as well stand for nautical miles. I have no clue...I'm trying to figure out how much torque to put on that water cover bolt.

img0102mi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

N M is Newton Meters

1 NM is equal to .737 foot pounds

7 Nm is about 5 foot pounds

you can go on google and see conversion chart / NM to foot pounds

Great, thanks for the info guys! I'll just use the converter on google, and use the torque wrench I have now (Uses lbs.)

If your torque wrench goes above 15lbs, you have the wrong wrench for that low a torque spec.

You really don't need a torque wrench for screws and bolts that are not structural. Besides, at that low of a torque spec, the chances of spinning a bolt, especially on a Kawi, is VERY high.

I

You really don't need a torque wrench for screws and bolts that are not structural. Besides, at that low of a torque spec, the chances of spinning a bolt, especially on a Kawi, is VERY high.

Don't you think that would be the reason he does need the torque wrench? Remember it takes years of practice (and usually screwing it up several times) to just do it by feel. I have friends that I have bought inch pound torque wrenches for just so I wouldn't need to repair their stripped and broken bolts anymore.