Sign in to follow this  

cr 250r trouble

I am hoping someone can help here is the problem. I just recently replaced the head and gasket on my cr 250r (used head). The motor seems to charge the cooling system even after a few kicks if I take the rad. cap of it sprays all over. When I start the bike it pushes all the coolant out of the puke hose. I replaced the cap with a 2.0 lb cap hoping the old one was bad. The bike starts and runs fine. My thoughts are the head is bad and will need to be resurfaced. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so what cured it? Thanks in advance.

my guess is your head gasket or head is leaking between the cylinder and coolant cavity and you are pushing compressed air into the cooling system.

remove your head.

have it checked for flatness, repair if not, and buy a new gasket and re-assemble it.

i also recommend using OEM gaskets. i never had good luck with aftermarket gaskets on dirtbike motors.

why did you replace the head and gasket? was this and issue you were trying to cure and its continuing?

my guess is your head gasket or head is leaking between the cylinder and coolant cavity and you are pushing compressed air into the cooling system.

remove your head.

have it checked for flatness, repair if not, and buy a new gasket and re-assemble it.

i also recommend using OEM gaskets. i never had good luck with aftermarket gaskets on dirtbike motors.

agree on the gaskets from personal experience. also to the OP, do you have the headgasket tab facing the correct direction and have the right side up? I know on my 00 there is a tab that needs to face to the rear of the bike.