Sign in to follow this  

Rear wheel not tracking straight in whoops

Hey guys, i've recently noticed a problem that when i start going over whoops at a decent speed i do ok for a while then my back tire starts "flinging" left and right and i have to slow down. Not sure if theres a way i can fix this through suspension or if its riding technique :smirk: Any help is appreciated, thanks.

This could be many problems, but since we are in the suspension forum it sounds to me like the shock is packing up. Try softening (or speeding) up the rebound. Turn the rebound clicker counter clockwise 3 to 4 clicks and start there.

Ok ill try that. I was also reading my owners manual troobleshooting and it says if the rear tire isn't tracking straight to try loosening the compression. Could the problem be that i'm too light (only weigh 140 lbs.) and everything is set stiff?

it could just as easily be the forks. shock packing usually tends to kick straight up in my experience.

If your rebound is too slow you could pack the shock and go side to side by the end of the section.

If it kicks or bucks straight up it could be too soft....or too hard. Improper rebound won't cause a kick-only compression will:ride:

it could just as easily be the forks. shock packing usually tends to kick straight up in my experience.

I dont think it's the forks cause I just had it in the shop and they replaced the seals and when they did that they set up the oil weight, height, clickers, etc. on the forks.

If your rebound is too slow you could pack the shock and go side to side by the end of the section.

This is exactly whats happening to me. I can get through about 3/4 of a section of whoops fine and pretty fast and in the last 1/4 the rear end start getting jumpy (from side to side) and i have to slow down :smirk:

Hey guys, i've recently noticed a problem that when i start going over whoops at a decent speed i do ok for a while then my back tire starts "flinging" left and right and i have to slow down. Not sure if theres a way i can fix this through suspension or if its riding technique :smirk: Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The rear swapping out is actually a very common occurrence and it's caused by many issues. From my experience, rider error is the number one. You need to pinch your bike through the whoop section pretty hard as a counter balance. Once the rear starts acting up, you usually have to back off the throttle in order to correct it.

Usually when I ride strangers bikes through a whoop section and it bounces all over on me, its preload. A stiff rear end, one that has not so much dampening, will cause the same issue. A quick check of your sag is probably the first place I'd go, followed quickly by a look in the manual to set your clickers back to the factory setting. If your shock has not been re-built in 2 years, it needs to be. :bonk:

This is exactly whats happening to me. I can get through about 3/4 of a section of whoops fine and pretty fast and in the last 1/4 the rear end start getting jumpy (from side to side) and i have to slow down :smirk:

has the rear shock been revalved? If not you will probably have to have it done and lessen the rebound dampening along with numerous other changes. just because you had the forks done doesn't really mean a hill of beans. what's your weight? are you running stock springs all around? has the forks/shock been revalved. tons of unanswered questions.

Ok ill try that. I was also reading my owners manual troobleshooting and it says if the rear tire isn't tracking straight to try loosening the compression. Could the problem be that i'm too light (only weigh 140 lbs.) and everything is set stiff?

You could be too light. The question is, how does it feel everywhere else? You want the thing to use all the suspension. As a general rule of thumb it should just kiss the bottom on the biggest hit you take on every lap. I know everybody is different, some like it to bottom often and some don't like to feel it bottom at all and that is just personal preference. I don't know your ability or the surface you ride but must likely at 140 lbs. it is sprung way to stiff. So far what you have described is a packing rear shock. Another way to test the rebound is to find a jump that you normally seat with a lot of force from the transition all the way until you leave the ground. Use that jump face to gather intell. on what the rebound is doing. When the rebound is too fast that jump will make the bike feel like it is trying to spit you over the bars. When it is too slow it will maintain the front wheel high mid flight. When doing this test you need to be honest with yourself because body positioning and movements can and will manipulate the results. Your goal is to get a baseline for the rebound, so maintain a consistent technique during your testing.

When the owner's manual talks about tracking, I believe in general they are talking about entering or exiting a turn or on a straight that is rough. I don't believe they are referring to the death bumps we call woops. I believe your technique is close if you are getting through the majority of the section with no issues. When you soften the comp. it does allow more of the energy to be absorbed into the shock but then it will take longer for the shock to return to the desired position. With the technology we use now, suspension is all about compromise. You need to find what compromise works best for you.

If you can find another person who knows what they are looking at to watch you go through the section you are having trouble with, that would be another good check. They may be able to distinguish between rider error or bike issues.

Thanks for all the input guys. To answer all the question my forks/shocks have not been revalved but thats next on my to-do list (as soon as i get the money). As for the springs, i know they're a little stiff but i dont want to change them out yet as im only 14 and am still going to be constantly gaining weight. Taking the bike off jumps i have no issues. I use pretty much the same technique all the time and the bike takes off and lands just fine. Not sure how close i am to bottoming out so ill have someone watch when i get a chance to get out. (Right now i have to repair the threads on my lower oil filter cover bolt hole :smirk:.) I'm sure taking a few hours and dialing in all my clickers would be a big help too.

Thanks for all the input guys. To answer all the question my forks/shocks have not been revalved but thats next on my to-do list (as soon as i get the money). As for the springs, i know they're a little stiff but i dont want to change them out yet as im only 14 and am still going to be constantly gaining weight. Taking the bike off jumps i have no issues. I use pretty much the same technique all the time and the bike takes off and lands just fine. Not sure how close i am to bottoming out so ill have someone watch when i get a chance to get out. (Right now i have to repair the threads on my lower oil filter cover bolt hole :smirk:.) I'm sure taking a few hours and dialing in all my clickers would be a big help too.

So you have no idea what your sag is then?

So you have no idea what your sag is then?

Oh, forgot about that. Yes i have checked my sag and it is perfectly within range.

Springs should come first before a revalve. Just sell the old springs and have money for new springs.

Springs should come first before a revalve. Just sell the old springs and have money for new springs.

How hard is it to take the old fork and shock springs off? Cause i was planning on having the shop do it when i got my new springs/valves.

So i'm thinking its going to be better to change out springs, valves, etc. when the season is over so i dont have to rush to get everything done when we want to go riding :smirk:

changing the springs is pretty easy. what do you weigh? and what bike you riding?

How hard is it to take the old fork and shock springs off? Cause i was planning on having the shop do it when i got my new springs/valves.

I just had a suspension shop do mine. For a revalve front/rear, softer shock spring, oil and other parts the cost was $440. Most places charge $150 an end for a revalve. I dont know how to do bigger work on my bike so I always have to take it to a shop.

changing the springs is pretty easy. what do you weigh? and what bike you riding?

I weigh 140lbs. (springs are set for 180lb rider). Bike is a 2005 CRF250R