Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR250F gas leak problem

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of TT and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem...

I bought a used 2001 WR250 a couple weeks ago and it ran great, since it was rebuilt in '06. I got to ride it twice before it got to cold to ride. I put my bike away for the winter expecting no problems from it whatsoever, but when I got it out to show my relatives, I noticed a strong smell of gas, and a small puddle underneath the overflow hose on my bike. I brought it into my garage and gas came out in a steady stream for about a second, after that it drips two or three times per minute... It has been sitting in my garage for the past few days with the fuel switch turned to OFF. No matter which way I turn the switch, if the bikes gets moved quickly the gas comes streaming out... Does anyone know if this is a carb issue or something is wrong with the fuel switch?

Thanks.

Sounds like either the float needle is stuck or the float height is incorrect. Try tapping on the side of the float bowl with a screwdriver handle and see if it stops. In the future, if you're going to store your bike for a period of time you should drain the fuel from your carb and tank. Today's fuel turns to garbage when sitting over a few weeks. By now your pilot jet is probably clogged from the old fuel sitting in there

Huh? No the pilot jet is not causing your fuel leak. Your float sticking is prolly causing your fuel leak. I say your pilot jet is probably clogged because your fuel is old. Take the float bowl off and find out what is going on in there

If you have the carb apart, you should check the o-ring that is underneath the float needle seat. We've had a couple of those go bad. They get dried up or rotted with age. I think alcohol in the gas makes it worse.

The only problem is that from Yamaha you have to buy the needle and seat to get the o-ring, and that's about $35. You can get the o-ring separate from Sudco. It's kind of a special size (narrow) so generic o-rings are too fat. One time when I needed to, I took a generic o-ring and put it on a shaft in a drill, then spun it up and used sandpaper to bring down the OD so it would work.

Did you get this problem solved?

I too have a 01 WR 250F which I have not ridden yet since having it rebuilt with the 290 kit and new rod and crank. I am having an issue with a wet plug and I have found my stator has gone bad.

Swede or Toby, I was told I need a new Needle Seat. Sounds like what you were suggesting above. Could you shed some light on the actual part #? Someone posted today a schematic that has all the parts on it but I have not a clue what the needle seat is. Thanks for your insight.

Edited by Obie1

I got the gas leak fixed, turned out that one of the tubes that are on.the gas switch came off, so gas was always coming through. Got a new switch and it has been fine ever since.

My new to me 2001 WR250F had intermittent drainage from the overflow tube. The needle and valve/o-ring looked fine but after a couple fiddle sessions a new needle and seat corrected the problem. I will add that I have come across 4 bikes (YZ's & WR's) that have petcock seals that are on their way out - can externally / internally leak & send rubber into the fuel system.

Great to hear. Happy Trails.

Sorry I kind of hijacked your thread but, I am having a similar problem.

Toby - is the part you were speaking of #25 on this from TT?

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.php?partcategory=332566&manufacturer=7&category=3&year=2001&model=6310

Yes #25 is the float needle and seat. Before replacing make sure the float level is correct. Sometimes a couple taps on the side of the float bowl with a handle of a screwdriver fixes a stuck float.

Yes #25 is the float needle and seat. Before replacing make sure the float level is correct. Sometimes a couple taps on the side of the float bowl with a handle of a screwdriver fixes a stuck float.

Thanks... Man made all the difference the old girl is purring again.