Sign in to follow this  

Help!! Klx/drz400 wont start

Hey Everyone,

I need a bit of help/advice if you have some to offer. I have a 2003 Kawi KLX 400 that has about 4000 miles on it. I have owned it for 5 months now and havent had ANY trouble with it. :bonk:

Was riding the other day in an icy field of grass having my dogs chase me. I slid out in a corner and dropped the bike on its left side:doh:. I used the kill switch to kill the engine. I lifted bike back up and it wouldnt start. Only tried a few times as I had to get to work.

Tried starting it this morning and the battery was dead. I hooked up some jumpers to my car and the bike and tried to start it. With cables attached the bike turns over like crazy. Its pretty cold here in winter and the bike does seem to be slightly cold blooded so it usually takes a few tries to start. Usually just need to choke and switch petcock to PRI. Tried that with jumpers hooked up and bike still wouldnt start. Tried many times. Get a fuel smell out of the exhaust. After 10-15 tries I was able to get it started by holding starter button and FULLY opening throttle. As soon as I let off throttle it died. After another 10-15 tries same thing happened. I kept throttle open and unhooked jumpers, jumped on it and tried to ride. As soon as I let off the throttle to shift to 2nd it died... :smirk:

Sorry about the novel, but does ANYONE have any clue what could be goin on?

First off a cold bike will stall at open throttle .2 seconds after starting it...as for your issue, I'm not positive let the gurus step forth...

Fuel feed problem.

Check the petcock is flowing fuel in the PRI position. Check by opening the carb drain and see what you get.

Water in the gas?

Gas in the tank?

The carb vent hose is pinched off or full of mud. The hose on the left that goes no place, just ends at the bottom of the carb.

You can burn up the starter motor with too much cranking especially when you have the reserve power of a car battery. Let it cool.

also check the oil and see if it smells like gas. sounds like its badly flooded and dumped a bunch of gas into the crankcase. had the same thing happen to me after forgetting to turn off my manual petcock

If the oil smells like gas do I just need to change the oil? I have left the petcock on a time or two but it didnt seem to cause any issues. Also, how would I go about checking the carb vent hose?

yes you need to change the oil. for gas to get in the oil either the petcock is leaking into the vaccum port or the carb float needle is leaking. carb float needle shouldnt be a huge issue if your petcock is working correctly

Vent hose - probably just look at it, but it is real easy to remove and blow thru it to verify its clear.

You were not real clear but if you have PRI position you must have a KLX400SR, right? Yes, if you left it parked in the PRI position, crankcase flooding could be the problem. Also is your motorcycle a "California bike" with a charcoal canister vapor recovery system? The canister can get flooded in a tip over. Also possible the float is sticking and floods the motor as soon as the fuel is on PRI or as soon as the petcock ON/RES receives a vacuum signal (cranking or starting).

Yes, the bike is the 400SR and it is not a Cali bike. It was purchased by first owner in OR in 04. I got it with 1300 miles in Aug 2011. Is there any way to tell if the crank case got flooded? Or do I just have to open it up and check it out?

I'd put the battery on a trickle charger for the night. I bet it starts right up Friday after work. You have two problems: the first is your battery. the second is your bike is problably flooded. Time is a good way to cure a flooded engine. Oh, make that three problems. It's cold outside.

Yes, the bike is the 400SR and it is not a Cali bike. It was purchased by first owner in OR in 04. I got it with 1300 miles in Aug 2011. Is there any way to tell if the crank case got flooded? Or do I just have to open it up and check it out?

Start by pulling the dip stick and smelling for gas around the hole where the oil goes in the frame. If you haven't changed the oil in a while now is a good time to do it. If the CC is flooded with gas you will have more than 2 quarts in the drain pan. You have to drain the engine and the frame to get all the oil out. You mentioned being a newbie bike owner so I'm just making sure you know about the two drain locations.