Sign in to follow this  

XR carb ID help needed please.

Hi, I just picked up a 91 XR250L donor bike for my 87 Xl250R and noticed it doesn't have the OEM carburetor on it. It looks like it's an XR because of the yellow choke lever and the bottom bowl has an access cover to get to the hex head jet. What's confusing is that it also looks like it has a accelerator pump as well which I guess the XR did not have. The only markings I can make out on the castings is:

Keihn

QB

10AWNC 7

IMG-20120105-00085.jpg

IMG-20120105-00086-1.jpg

It has an Hondaline thumb throttle lever attached. Is this set up desirable? I can't use it because of dual carb set up on my bike but it might be something someone here might be interested in. If so I'll stick it on the classifieds.

IMG-20120105-00089.jpg

Edited by scotteroni
added picts

The carb has a manual choke lever and looks nothing like the online OEM one. (91XR250L). This one also has plastic cover on the side covering linkages and has a metal triangular cover on the top over the slide.

xrlcarbjpg.png

Edited by scotteroni
added info

Dual carbs? only the 84-85 cylinder heads used dual carbs.

There should be a model ID on the carb, the XRs used a PDxx model. Post the carb model and we might be able to ID the carb.

The thumb throttle can be used with any carb so that doesn't confirm the carb source.

Dual carbs? only the 84-85 cylinder heads used dual carbs.

There should be a model ID on the carb, the XRs used a PDxx model. Post the carb model and we might be able to ID the carb.

The thumb throttle can be used with any carb so that doesn't confirm the carb source.

My 87 XL250R has dual carbs. My parts bikes xl250r 85,86 also have them. After searching images on the web it looks like this carb is off an TRX250X 86-87.

Thanks for the input guys.:smirk:

The only reason I guessed that is because the carb was not stock and the thumb throttle. I've SEEN guys take entire carb/throttle setups off old parts bikes and put them on ATVs, etc. Some people have nooo idea.

Glad to see you've got it figured out. If the carbs not horribly different, maybe it'll be usable. If not, you can probably sell it on e.b.a.y for what the correct one would cost :smirk: