Sign in to follow this  

Motocross CMRC thinking to allow 250 2T in MX2 (Lites) class

It would be great. They are after all only 250cc which is where they have always raced. Then the whole idea of making a 450cc class and pushing the 2stroke into it left them at a huge disadvantage for top tier privateers. Unfair and the rule change should go forward everywhere.

I will say honestly I am not sure this is "Fair". Dont get me wrong I am die hard 2 stroke fan and want them to make a come back. And currently on the fence of buying a 12' 250 SX

BUT put two eqaully "skilled" riders on a 250-4S Vs 250-2S.... the 2 stroke will beat the 250 4 stroke almost all the time!

It is so super light and nimble and 20%+ more power than a 4Stroke. If you have not ridden one lately the 2 storke accelerate sooo damn fast, I forgot how they were riding at 450 now. They are so fun! It did wear me out faster than my 450 though... like hanging on for dear life at times :smirk:

All that advantage does depend on the rider though....

I will say honestly I am not sure this is "Fair". Dont get me wrong I am die hard 2 stroke fan and want them to make a come back. And currently on the fence of buying a 12' 250 SX

BUT put two eqaully "skilled" riders on a 250-4S Vs 250-2S.... the 2 stroke will beat the 250 4 stroke almost all the time!

It is so super light and nimble and 20%+ more power than a 4Stroke. If you have not ridden one lately the 2 storke accelerate sooo damn fast, I forgot how they were riding at 450 now. They are so fun! It did wear me out faster than my 450 though... like hanging on for dear life at times :smirk:

All that advantage does depend on the rider though....

Doesn't seem fair that the first 400cc 4 stroke was capable of winning over 10 years ago and now they're 450cc with 10 years more development. I wish there was still a class where a two stroke was valid choice for a rider that wanted to ride one.

Doesn't seem fair that the first 400cc 4 stroke was capable of winning over 10 years ago and now they're 450cc with 10 years more development. I wish there was still a class where a two stroke was valid choice for a rider that wanted to ride one.
Schoolboy. :smirk:

That being said, the 250T has been allowed in the amateur MX2 class for a while now in the US. Has it been dominating?

Edited by Crazyced

Ever seen a CMRC MX2 starting gate? A lot of tricked out, well developed 250f setups from most of the west coast tuners. Come out with a 2 stroke with "a couple of mods" and see what happens. The 2 strokes need to be re-developed into the modern era.

Edit- The KTM is the one exception in that is has seen quite a bit of development. I'd love to see a kid on one of those do well.

Schoolboy. :smirk:

That being said, the 250T has been allowed in the amateur MX2 class for a while now in the US. Has it been dominating?

i have been sayin that all year, US and Canada amature has been like that for a while, no 2 stroke dominating has been going on, and i think in Austrailia they alow it in the pro ranks.

i like both bikes!

whats the price comparison on a 2012 250f vs a 2012 250 2 stroke?

Your right is has not been dominating. Its because the younger kids can go fast on a "lazy" 4T. I am older, but I ride with young 20 year old riders. They road the 12' 250 SX when I did and all them have 450's. Everyone of them said they would not race one because it was TOO HARD to ride fast so they got tired quicker. That is the main reason you do see younger kids racing them, it takes more "skill" to ride it faster. Though no one that day with a 250F road the bike so not sure on that.

I will be the first to say the 450's are an "easier" bike to ride quicker but it sure is not as FUN.

I hope they do it, reminds me how racing was better back when they had a 500 class, and privateers were able to beat pro's, now day's the pro's engines are not within a privateers grasp

you can make a 250 two stroke easy to ride, just look at any of the enduro model's, the current MX versions are pigeon holed into being designed against 450's

I think it's also important to note, that safety wise we seem to have accepted that the old 250 class is now the "lights", IMO that was never a good thing, going from the kids bikes to 250's is a big jump. And now we are right back to where we were in the early 90's, with an "open" class of 450's that are everything a 500 two stroke was, they put down faster laps, and the weight more, so the risk is higher

this sport got much more dangerous and MUCH more expensive because of these stupid rule changes

I hope they do it, reminds me how racing was better back when they had a 500 class, and privateers were able to beat pro's, now day's the pro's engines are not within a privateers grasp

you can make a 250 two stroke easy to ride, just look at any of the enduro model's, the current MX versions are pigeon holed into being designed against 450's

I think it's also important to note, that safety wise we seem to have accepted that the old 250 class is now the "lights", IMO that was never a good thing, going from the kids bikes to 250's is a big jump. And now we are right back to where we were in the early 90's, with an "open" class of 450's that are everything a 500 two stroke was, they put down faster laps, and the weight more, so the risk is higher

this sport got much more dangerous and MUCH more expensive because of these stupid rule changes

I was under the impression that the 500 class was cut when they realized riders were faster on the 250s?