Sign in to follow this  

electric problem rectifier/regulator need help

Hi!

I have a xr 400 98

After making an electrical restoration, i found out that i had a problem whith the rectifier/regulator, that stays in the handlebar, because i didnt have horn, minimum, presence and stop.

I had a regulator here in my house that i wasnt using so i applied to xr but i think it overheats. My question is this:

How much is the voltage coming from the engine to this rectifier/regulator?

I am getting 30/35 V is it normal? Or could i have a coil damaged?

reguladorrectificador2.jpg

I'm no electrical guru, but trying to interpret the shop manual, looks like it's 100v from the stator to the AC regulator. AC regulator regulated voltage from there is 12.5-13.5 volts.

The rectifier of your system changes the AC to Dc and I'm guessing that capacitor is taking the place of a battery.

But these are US specs. I have no idea what the electrical system on a Portugal bike is like.

I'm no electrical guru, but trying to interpret the shop manual, looks like it's 100v from the stator to the AC regulator. AC regulator regulated voltage from there is 12.5-13.5 volts.

The rectifier of your system changes the AC to Dc and I'm guessing that capacitor is taking the place of a battery.

But these are US specs. I have no idea what the electrical system on a Portugal bike is like.

from what i have found the factory AC regulator will reach about 18v with 0 load (no headlight) on the system. i think i got about 40v or something like that directly off the stator.

from what i have found the factory AC regulator will reach about 18v with 0 load (no headlight) on the system. i think i got about 40v or something like that directly off the stator.

So mine should be ok, but does your regulator/rectificator overheats?

Does it get hot?

I think 100 v is to much. Where can a i see a shop manual? i have the service manual

A reg/rec set up like yours with the capacitor will get hot,,I've a 600 set up the same,,its reg/rec gets hot so I mounted a heatsink from an old computer cpu cooler on it,,,Put a bit of cpu heat transfer paste on top of the reg/rec and mount the cooler on top with a large hose clip,,Mounted mine on one of the handlebar bolts so she gets plenty of air for cooling. Works fine. Here's a 400 wiring diagram that may be of some use,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/xr400wiringdc.jpg/

Save the image from there to your pc,,open it with your browser,,(Firefox or IE),,left click the mouse to get blow up view..

Hey Horri, I'm fixing to add a Tusk enduro lighting kit... So they'll be a new wiring schematic by Perc soon. :smirk:

Perc

I've grabbed that XR400 manual,,Thanks very much for posting the url to it,,You can never have enough manuals,,

Perc82,,,I see your other electrical question,,Sorry I don't know enough about the matter to comment., I gather information from all over the show but I'm not an electrical genius ..far from it.,

Regards mounting that Reg/rec on one of the handlebar bolts,,You'll need to possibly put a bit of a spacer between it and the actual handlebar clamp as the clamps are not dead flat.,,Should you try just bolting it straight down without a round piece of hollow brass or similar piping type material as the spacer it will end up cracking the Reg/recs mounting point,,Just a word of warning there.,

You also don't need a gigantic heatsink,,The one I put on top of the 600s Reg/rec is about 2 inches round and maybe half an inch high,,Don't need some massive thing to do the job.,

Edited by Horri

Hi

That manual is the one i have. The problem with that wiring diagram is that its not complet at least for european bikes.

Digging through google i found these two diagrams

The first one is the best is the one that fits my bike

The second someone made an alteraction

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/tommytopbox/WIRINGXR400RED.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3849/xr400wiringdc.jpg

Thank you for the tips

Hi

That manual is the one i have. The problem with that wiring diagram is that its not complet at least for european bikes.

Digging through google i found these two diagrams

The first one is the best is the one that fits my bike

The second someone made an alteraction

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/tommytopbox/WIRINGXR400RED.jpg

Thank you for the tips

Yes, "vascoribeiro" you are correct. The second wiring diagram is one that I

(Perc82) modified to show the addition of an upgraded stator with two 125 watt outputs. One going to the stock AC circuit and the other going to a DC circuit with reg/rect, battery pack, fuse link "Airtime HID" headlights and a 12 volt power outlet added. In large red letters I stated at the bottom " ADDED DC CIRCUIT"

This modified schematic was never intended to be a "one fits all" copy. I am in the process of adding a dual sport kit to my XR400 now. So, soon I'll make a new wiring schematic to show all of these wires added to the U.S. version.

If you are working on a European XR400 with blinkers, horn etc., I would not use anything but the European schematic.

Thanks for this info. I had no clue that this drawing would get so far or cause any confusion. I will add better labeling to the next one. :smirk:

Perc

That wiring diagrams most useful..,My 600 already had the Capacitor/Condensor wired in when I got it so it's good to actually get a correct schematic for it,,Downunder 600s are wired up more or less the same as the Euros so if that's a 400 schematic it looks good to add to my collection and will cover one of my 600s as well.,(Rest of my 600s are wired up the same as an XL600/500 and run batteries) ,No wiring diagram for the 400/600 I've seen contain the Cap/Con wired into them,,Nice clear schematic as well,,Thanks for locating it.,

And Perc82,,Didn't realise that 400 one was your original,,good work and harvested for future use,,Anything useful I gather from the net.==>Thanks.,It all gets around different places and hopefully helps others.,that's the beauty of the internet

I'll definitely grab your "Tusk" one should you post it and add it to my database of wiring schematics..Once it's out there it's there forever,,Name in lights material.,Sign it off in your name if you like.,

Edited by Horri