Sign in to follow this  

New to me 2005 CRF250x won't start

Just bought a 2005 CRF250x off a friend of a friend. Started up and ran fine last week when I bought it but couldn't get it to start last night. Kicked for close to 20 minutes with choke out & choke in, didn't matter. It doesn't have a battery, does it need a battery to start? He kicked it right over with no problem the night I bought it. Thanks for your help.

Alex

Update - I just spoke with the guy who sold me the bike. He is not completely clear on all the details since he inherited the bike from his brother a couple of years ago. What seemed relevant that he could recall and what little of it I actually understood:

Rebuilt top end with new piston and valve

Smog kit

Jet kit

He's only ridden it a hand full of times since he got it from his brother, but according to him he hasn't had any issues. I did check the oil and while it was full, it looked and smelled old.

Any help would be much appreciated. I wanted to take it out this weekend but I can't ride it if I can't start it. Thanks

I would check your valve tolerance. You may need new intake valves.

If the valve tolerances are within spec, then I would check the jetting.

Unfortunately I'm not that mechanically inclined. I'm good with hammer and nails not so much with engines. Is there someplace you recommend me taking it where they can check that sort of thing for me, a local dealer maybe?

You are a God! I held in the clutch and it's starting in five kicks. The guy I bought it from never told me I had to do that. Thank you so much.

Alex

You are a God! I held in the clutch and it's starting in five kicks. The guy I bought it from never told me I had to do that. Thank you so much.

Alex

I would start working on your wrenching skills, change your own oil (happens a lot more frequent than with a car), cleaning the air filter, and adjusting the chain for starters. You will definitely go broke if you have to pay a mech to do all your maintenance.

The guy who suggested the clutch, wow, it never would have occurred to me that you were not holding the clutch in. Sometimes it is the simplest thing.

I would start working on your wrenching skills, change your own oil (happens a lot more frequent than with a car), cleaning the air filter, and adjusting the chain for starters. You will definitely go broke if you have to pay a mech to do all your maintenance.

The guy who suggested the clutch, wow, it never would have occurred to me that you were not holding the clutch in. Sometimes it is the simplest thing.

Yeah. I was thinking pilot jet ro zeroed intake, the usual supects.

Unfortunately I'm not that mechanically inclined. I'm good with hammer and nails not so much with engines. Is there someplace you recommend me taking it where they can check that sort of thing for me, a local dealer maybe?

AS Racing for all of your needs beyond basic maintenance. But as stated elsewhere you need to do the basic stuff yourself. Get a manual study it and it will be a snap. You need to clean your air filter ever ride IMO if you are riding in SoCal. I would change the engine side oil with great frequency as well. Good luck on your new stead:thumbsup: