Sign in to follow this  

should i trade mine for this ?

ok so i have a very nice looking 96 yamaha yz250 2 stroke runs good , ive always had 2 stroke never had a 4 stroke and would really like to own one so im always looking on craigslist and other sites like that. theres a guy on there with a good condition 2004 kx250f just needs some graphics put on and he sais the motor needs rebuilt it sounds like it still turns over freely and all just wont start thats all i know , but i want to trade him it could be a cheap or easyy fix for say shim the valves or replace them all, but anyways you guys think i should do it, my only major worry is that i dont want to get it and have to have the head replaced or repaired, i dont care if i need to shim the valves or replace them or a new cylinder or piston kit or the bottom end , but even then though i dont want to have to replace all of it at once tho cause i dont have much of a budget , want to race it come atleast late spring, so tell me what you guys think if i should or not , thanx

Since you asked, I have to say that it is not a good idea to trade a perfectly running bike for one that doesn't run. Also, it is generally a good idea to stay away from those '04-'05 bikes as they are money pits. I say you stick with your current bike, save money, and get an '06 or newer when the opportunity presents itself. Just my opinion, though.

I can tell you from a recent top end/head rebuild of a 2006 CRF 250....that even going as much DIY as possible it will still cost you roughly $500 and that's if the heads in relatively good shape to start with. I will never trade another perfectly good running bike for one that is questionable...:smirk:

what is the difference between the 04 and 05 motor then the 06 my friend has an 06 rmz250 and hes had it rebuilt once changed and adjusted the valves once nothing major but its gone through about a year and a half of racing and hes good wins in quite a few classes and its been giving him lots of good luch , but is there a part in the motor that has changed in those year making it better ? , i could get the bike fix it and easily get a newer 250 2 stroke then the one i have now

Here is a link that was a review for the 06 that describes some of the changes. The 06 was a complete redesign and they made the motor more bulletproof, better suspension, aluminum frame, etc. The 04 and 05 kx250f were the same bike as the Suzuki but the 06's are different.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/165/954/Motorcycle-Article/2006-Kawasaki-KX250F-First-Ride.aspx