Sign in to follow this  

should i trade ? , look inside

ok so i have a very nice looking 96 yamaha yz250 2 stroke runs good , ive always had 2 stroke never had a 4 stroke and would really like to own one so im always looking on craigslist and other sites like that. theres a guy on there with a good condition 2004 kx250f just needs some graphics put on and he sais the motor needs rebuilt it sounds like it still turns over freely and all just wont start thats all i know , but i want to trade him it could be a cheap or easyy fix for say shim the valves or replace them all, but anyways you guys think i should do it, my only major worry is that i dont want to get it and have to have the head replaced or repaired, i dont care if i need to shim the valves or replace them or a new cylinder or piston kit or the bottom end , but even then though i dont want to have to replace all of it at once tho cause i dont have much of a budget , want to race it come atleast late spring, so tell me what you guys think if i should or not , and please dont base your ideas or thoughts on the fact that your a die hard yamaha or die hard 2 stroke fan , thanx

No, I wouldnt. Do some research on the 04 kx250f/04 rmz250. Not saying theyre not great bikes but there known to be unreliable and overheat. Buying a bike that isnt reliable for your first four stroke may leave a bad taste in your mouth. I would wait for other offers.

The 2004 KX250F/RMZ250 (same bike) is the worst dirt bike ever made. Stay away from it.

Yup, the Sheriff is correct, that bike is known as the worst mx bike ever made

My buddy I work with had one and said they had problems with valves etc etc etc etc, like acetone said stay away from it. Its just going to cost you a boat load of cash.

used 4 strokes are ticking time bombs, id stick with your two stroke, they're way more fun:thumbsup:

+4stroke motor work is not fun/easy, if its blown it could be a very expensive build, chances are if it kissed a valve its gonna a need piston/valves/guides/cams/head/cylinder

+4stroke motor work is not fun/easy

Okay, I don't understand this logic.... If you can rebuild a two stroke and read, rebuilding a four stroke is just as easy. I don't understand why people say this all the time. There are four strokes that are pretty much reliable, you just have to look for them, that is all. If you are looking for a reliable thumper, look in the direction of the yz250f models. The general consensus is correct about the first generation kx/rm 250f, I have seen some nasty stuff with these engines, like inverted pistons/etc... So, keep fishing for something a bit newer, and stay with a blue bike if you want a 250f. Also, it really isn't that much more expensive to do a piston and rings on a properly taken care of four stroke than it is on a two stroke.

Here in Az you can get a 04 and older good condition YZ250f for 1000-1300$ and a 05/06 for around 1600-1800$ all day long. I wouldn't bother with a broken kx for more than 350$. Of all my friends that jumped on the 250f bandwagon back in the day only the one who bought a YZ got any longevity out of the bike. Kx, Cr, Rm all grenaded in spectacular fashion.

That yz ran forever though. Of all the older models its the only one I would take a chance on. Even then I would tear it down, check the valves and throw a new piston in it before I did much with it.

Okay, I don't understand this logic.... If you can rebuild a two stroke and read, rebuilding a four stroke is just as easy. I don't understand why people say this all the time. There are four strokes that are pretty much reliable, you just have to look for them, that is all. If you are looking for a reliable thumper, look in the direction of the yz250f models. The general consensus is correct about the first generation kx/rm 250f, I have seen some nasty stuff with these engines, like inverted pistons/etc... So, keep fishing for something a bit newer, and stay with a blue bike if you want a 250f. Also, it really isn't that much more expensive to do a piston and rings on a properly taken care of four stroke than it is on a two stroke.

this is bad info IMO. just doing a piston and rings on a 250f is not as simple as a 2-stroke and there are waaaaay more mistakes a novie mechanic can make regarding the timing chain etc on a 4-stroke. you would have to try pretty hard to f-up a 2-stroke topend. also this is not usually what goes on a 250f....it probably has valve issues too. the problem is he has no idea what is wrong. could be a $250 piston and rings or a $2500 complete over haul. all 250fs are risky to buy used (especially non running) but this particular one is by far the worst. run like the wind from this one dude!!!

Edited by rodgini

the guy isnt giving me any money with it if i trade him , or he will take $800 for it , and is the 04 year the worst ? cause my buddy has a 2006 rmz250 still the ones that are like exactly the same and he rebuild it once when he got it and since then he has done lots and lots and lots racing and hes good , and hes only had to put new valves in once over the last year and a half and had them shimmed somewhere in between its running very good still , so what makes the 04 kx250f any different ? , it could just be his good luck tho

They say a person "lives and learns" make this trade and you'll be able to tell your kids abotu it in the years to come.

The 04 kx250f was a pile of junk. Not reliable, and not worth taking as a gift. The 05 is better, but barely. The 06 rmz is part of the suzuki/kawasaki (basically an 05 kawasaki bike) In years we'll look back and see these were the worst modern mx bikes ever built. The 06 kxf was a new bike, and pretty good.

It will be a learning experience if you do. You'll likely be without a running dirt bike inside of 6 months. Be sure and search the bike on the net just so you know its not us tt people who dislike them.

the guy isnt giving me any money with it if i trade him , or he will take $800 for it , and is the 04 year the worst ? cause my buddy has a 2006 rmz250 still the ones that are like exactly the same and he rebuild it once when he got it and since then he has done lots and lots and lots racing and hes good , and hes only had to put new valves in once over the last year and a half and had them shimmed somewhere in between its running very good still , so what makes the 04 kx250f any different ? , it could just be his good luck tho

They did make some changes to the bike between 2004 and 2006 that made the RM-Z more reliable. Still not a great bike, but a decent one. Reliability has nothing to do with the shape of the plastics...

yeah but this is a post about buying a used four stroke that has potentially blown up, this will not be a fun task to do yourself especially if its your first build, it won't be as simple as changing a piston which i agree is about the same level of difficulty on its two stroke counterpart, but any kind of head work can sometimes be difficult

Edited by j16out

And wouldn't going from a 250 2 stroke to a 250 4 stroke be stepping down? I wouldn't do it if I were you.

You have got to be kidding. A two stroke head is one piece. A four stroke head is a ton more work. Tossing out a reed cage as an issue is a little over the top.

The YZF250 is a pretty easy to live with bike. They work pretty well as a moto bike. But they are a lot more work to ride fast in the woods. A 125 is easier to ride in the woods than a 250 diesel IMO.

I bought a YZF250 for testing purposes and rode it for a over a year before I replaced it with another YZ250. It had it's moments. But in all I thought it was quite substandard to a two stroke 250.

I'm an old woods guy. Your results may vary.

I think it comes down to your bike is worth about $1200. And a non running 250f is worth about $300 or $400. IMO

ok so i have a very nice looking 96 yamaha yz250 2 stroke runs good , ive always had 2 stroke never had a 4 stroke and would really like to own one so im always looking on craigslist and other sites like that. theres a guy on there with a good condition 2004 kx250f just needs some graphics put on and he sais the motor needs rebuilt it sounds like it still turns over freely and all just wont start thats all i know , but i want to trade him it could be a cheap or easyy fix for say shim the valves or replace them all, but anyways you guys think i should do it, my only major worry is that i dont want to get it and have to have the head replaced or repaired, i dont care if i need to shim the valves or replace them or a new cylinder or piston kit or the bottom end , but even then though i dont want to have to replace all of it at once tho cause i dont have much of a budget , want to race it come atleast late spring, so tell me what you guys think if i should or not , and please dont base your ideas or thoughts on the fact that your a die hard yamaha or die hard 2 stroke fan , thanx

If he trades back to a two stroke that should be your clue as to what your getting into,besides a 250 4 stroke will feel slow compared to your yz. At least that's how it feels to me when i ride someones 250 4 stroke when they try to convince me how much better it is and i have to ride it.I just twist the throttle and wait for the power but it never comes,just the rev limiter laughing in my face as if to call me a sucker.

...a 250 4 stroke will feel slow compared to your yz. At least that's how it feels to me when i ride someones 250 4 stroke when they try to convince me how much better it is and i have to ride it.

It will FEEL slower, but lap times on MX tracks are almost identical for most riders.

While four strokes may have their advantages on a track, easy maintenance of two strokes is a fact. But EASY needs to be defined. Does easy mean skill level or amount of physical work?

With a two stroke, less skill is required to put it together, there's no cams, valves, chains, tensioners or timing. Just put the piston in the right direction and you're good. The PV and linkage is nothing in comparison to the valves, shims, etc in a thumper.

With a two stroke, less physical labor is required because there are fewer parts to install and each of them is less complex.

I wouldn't make that trade. Like a few others, I'd hold out for a much more reliable YZ250F. I've seen them sell for $1300 in excellent condition.