Sign in to follow this  

new motor!

my bike is 3 years old, ive had it for 2, it was previously used for hillclimbs, I use it for MX, still the original motor, all its seen is a set of rings over a year ago, when it was brand new the exhaust valve was slightly out after break in, but it was shimmed up to spec and even after 350 hours of beating on this motor they havent moved since! I pulled it out, took it in for a rebuild and buddy said it was mint besides some cylinder wear. Pretty amazing motor, it almost makes it worth having a yellow bike (I bought a suzuki the same reason I used to buy chevys, theyre cheap!) anyways, new main bearings, rod, piston and cylinder re-plating for around $1300. I put off buying a 4 stroke for the longest time because people are always talking about how high maintenance and expensive they are, but by changing the air filter and oil on time and warming it up properly I could have easily got 400 hours out of it:ride:

Edited by suzuki914

That is great news! What was your maintenance schedule and what type of oil did you run?

maxima 15-40 semi synthetic, changed it every 10-15 hours, did the oil filter every second oil change, I use a twin air brand air filter with maxima oil, I clean it when theres not a lot of blue showing, ran 94 octane obviosly, regular is hard as hell on these motors. as far as warming it up goes I would let it idle until the temperature sticker started to show a reading

Seems a lil expensive. New crank, main bearings, piston, replate and gaskets will only cost you about $650 if you do it yourself and can all be done in one long day or a leisure weekend.

Seems a lil expensive. New crank, main bearings, piston, replate and gaskets will only cost you about $650 if you do it yourself and can all be done in one long day or a leisure weekend.

hmmm yea I didnt quite add everything up right it should be pretty close to 650-700 actually, and im not paying labour I bought it off a friend and he said he would give me one free rebuild before I have to learn how to do it

Oh nice, always good to have a buddy to hook you up. once u learn to work on 4 strokes its really not hard and really not crazy expensive. Even if you actually blow the motor, a complete top and bottom rebuild rebuild will only be about $1100 in parts and leaves you with pretty much a brand new motor. not too shabby