Sign in to follow this  

Do you guys wire your grips?

I never wired my grips before. I don't have problems with them since I really try not to fall and I do glue them. But, the other bike I maintain, ridden by not myself, seam to have loose, sand packed grips after every ride. Does wiring them create a semi permanent situation or does it just temporarily limp you through a day’s race or ride?

Edited 1/6/12, based on information in posts 2 though 32:

1. Ok looks like "ODI grips" are a good idea. Is there some sort of metal or plastic tube that fits inside the left rubber tube? Without that, I would think glue would still be needed. Do both grips come for the price listed? If so, that would not be a bad deal. It seams ordering them is a PAIN IN THE ASS though. I like to just order my stuff on-line and be done with it. Based on the web site, it looks like you need to find a dealer, email etc. Not for me, unless there was an easier way to order them. Does someone else sell the ODI or clamp on style grips?

2. It looks like glue or paint or hairspray along with wire tie is the right way to go. Where do you get the wire from and on poster mentioned a tool. Is that needed? If so, so be it. If not then I guess use pliers.

3. I do not think I will be using epoxy on my grips any time soon. Thanks for that reply, but sorry I can't get my self to try that one.

Edited by Mark6299

I never wired my grips before. I don't have problems with them since I really try not to fall and I do glue them. But, the other bike I maintain, ridden by not myself, seam to have loose, sand packed grips after every ride. Does wiring them create a semi permanent situation or does it just temporarily limp you through a day’s race or ride?

When I put on new grips, I glue them, and wire them. I never have a problem. The wire is just for added "stay put' safety.

• Like 1

When I put on new grips, I glue them, and wire them. I never have a problem. The wire is just for added "stay put' safety.

^^^what he said

I use 2 part epoxy. Works great. Grips never move.

I would hate to get those grips off and clean the excess off of the bar.

i had a grip pop off on me once riding when i was young. ever since then im extra anal with my grips. def. glue and wire

I would hate to get those grips off and clean the excess off of the bar.

Its not any more difficult than regular grip glue and unlike grip glue it actually works. :smirk:

My next grips will be a lock-on style. I use them on all 3 of my mountain bikes. I haven't used slip-ons since...very reliable.

ever been railing a turn and have the grip come off in your hand, but you're no longer holding the bars? this is why i use grip glue and wire them on.

ever been railing a turn and have the grip come off in your hand, but you're no longer holding the bars? this is why i use grip glue and wire them on.

+2 on this one glue and wire always!

Glue and wire for me too.

And yes you can sub spray paint (color is irrelevant) or hair spray for glue.

i used clear coat to put grips on my bmx handlebars. it made the white paint on the bars run all over the place. it did do a damn good job at holding the grips on, but i think it dried too fast. as in i got the grips half-way on and it was near impossible to get them on the rest of the way, but i somehow did.

ODI grips, problem solved, plus i get a new throttle tube with every change!

ODI grips are awesome! I will never do back to glue and wire.......its like the stone ages or black and white tv :smirk: