Sign in to follow this  

new to the 4T section...

Longtime Suzuki fan, long time 2T fan and now my son has quenched his thirst with some RMZ250 flavored kool-aid...

This is our 1st 4T mx bike so I am hoping I can get some pointers from some veteran RMZ guys...

Its an 09 with 26hrs on it, very clean, very tight. Unscathed oem graphics...etc etc.

I plan on running a race fuel blend because I hate the piss poor quality of pumpgas...

In the crankcase I plan on running 5w40 Rotella synthetic (I have to check the manual but I think its a great oil)...

Now my question is... what should I keep an eye on and what service intervals do you guys think I should swap valves or do topends and rebuilds?

Thanks in advance :smirk:

and here's a quick pic I took for him...

photo3.jpg

what should I keep an eye on and what service intervals do you guys think I should swap valves or do topends and rebuilds?

as anyone will say to this: it all depends on how hard he rides and how good you are on maintenance. your manual represents raceing conditions and is often overkill on service intervals (except the engine oil change intervals). some will go as much as 100hrs on a piston alone, while others wouldnt dare pass 25hrs, same with valves, crank, clutch. etc.

if your looking for personal experience i have had success (riding at a midpack b-level) changing the piston every 50hrs, crank every 100hrs, and replace valves as required (depending on their clearance in the head). i clean the air filter every ride if its dusty out, otherwise about every third ride if the conditions are nice (not dusty or no sand). i change oil every 4-5hrs and filter every other oil change and would recommend a thicker oil to protect the transmission components better (15w-50). clutchs should be replaced as required, as well as chains, sprockets, linkage/head/wheel bearings, brakes, etc... these are things that can be followed or "checked" easily and require no "interval" for changing them. personally this setup has worked very well for me resulting in no failures at my level. some have reported poor transmission componentry, once again i find that it is a result of rider input here, and how hard they are on shifting.

• Like 1