Sign in to follow this  

2001 kx 250 for high altitude single track

i am 99% percent sure I am purchasing a 2001 kx 250 with some goodies on it. I was told It has RG3 suspension set up for mx and 170 lbs rider and RG3 upper and lower triple clamp, excel rims,SASS porting, FMF fatty, and some other items.

I have searched the forum for advice but not seeking the info i need.

I am looking to make the jetting a little easier since i will be coming from a 4 stroke and I ride so many elevations. has any one used this product for jetting?

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm or this set up

http://www.thunderproducts.com/IntelaJet.htm

Lots of people mention to change the first gear for single track/trail riding, that is not in the cards for me so will a 12 or 13 tooth front really help with the hit in the really really tight slow stuff?

A fww will really help with the hit, riding at 8k to 12k should i go with a 12oz fww or smaller? i cant really afford an auto clutch and i do not think it is for me.

I am C rider that weighs 235 with out gear. what should i do with the suspension? I had my XR set up by ktm of aspen and they did a great job but was kinda spendy. any way i can make it work or just spend the money and have it set up for me?

What is every one using for kick stands? i will like a nice kick stand so i do not have to prop it up against a tree on the trail.

i will spend the money on bark busters, skid plate, and other protection for sure. any other things i need?

i was using this post for info http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010001&highlight=single+track

this is my first two stroke and really looking forward to it!!

8432f3b5.jpg

not the best pic but you can see the bike

Edited by smv ryder
one more question

Well if it were mine it would probably get a KDX trans but for sure a 94-98 1'st gear. That aside I would go 13-51 or so and 13 oz FWW a big fuel tank. I am not a fan of the auto clutch. I have ridden these bikes many thousands of miles on high mountain single track mostly in Idaho and here in Nevada and don't see the need for the dial-a-jet but that may just be me but mine runs fine I live at 5,200 and have been to 11,000 with out changing my jetting.

In the thread you have looked at there is a link to a thread on my 01, if you haven't checked it out do so. Why is the lower 1'st gear not in your cards? I have bought many 94-98 transmissions cheap on ebay and then just use the input shaft and the matching gear with great results.

The forks can be made better cheaply by disabling the bladders, search the suspension forum, and pull 2 face shims out of the base valves and lower the oil to around 130mm and start there. The shock an be tuned to work fine with sag and clickers.

Rereading you post the only other thing you need is a spark arester, bigger fuel tank for the rides I do and a kick stand is very nice too. As this is your first 2stroke don't give up if it doesn't work well right off, these a MX bike that we have to make into trail bikes.

If you ever want to ride in the mountains of Idaho let me know and I will try to meet you and let you ride mine. We almost went to Colorado this year but the trip fell through but one of these days I will hit your state.

Ed

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

I will try the gearing first and see what results I get. Then I will try the FWW and see how that goes. Then I will try the KDX trans, I have a good friend that will be parting out a 200 and I will see if his year bike will work. We will see after I ride it, I may just go straight to the tranny.

I see you run a 3.2 gallon tank, can you guess how many miles you get out of a tank? I was looking at a 3.3 gallon. I am noob on jetting a 2 stoke and thought they were a lot more sensitive to elevation change. Its good to hear your bike runs fine over such a wide elevation range. I know your bike is not stock but maybe you can give me a little help with jetting. I will search the forum too!

I will check out the suspension forum for some tips. I have been working a ton of overtime and may reward my self and just take it to KTM of aspen and let them do there magic. We will see...

The bike does have a forest approved spark arrestor on it. The kick stand is the first thing I am buying, I am looking at the trail tech kick stand kit. Is there another company I should look at? I understand the work it will take to make it a good woods bike and thanks for the positive thoughts.

I need a skid plate for the bike, I cant tell from the pic which one you are running. What brand do you use?

Do I need a pipe guard?

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the all questions. When I get off work tonight I will read your thread again.

Daryl

Edited by smv ryder

No1clyde uses his own home made kickstand. I have one of his on my 01. It's a nice unit. You will find that trailtech does not make one for this year. The trans is not from a 200 which is a 6 speed. It's a 5 speed from a 91-94. My skidplate is from Utah sport cycle but I think it's called a ricochet now. I also run 13/51 on mine. Makes 1st gear more usable but makes you wonder if you took 5th gear out lol. Makes it a little peaky on fire road sections but more than worth it on tight trail. with the stock tank you might go 40-50 miles. I have an ims 3.3 and I have not gone far enough to worry about it. I would think 60-70 miles on trail riding.

• Like 1

I am having trouble working the new forum, I am computer chalanged LOL. Anyway I run jetting somewhere around 45 pilot,needle in the #2clip and around a 155 main but those #'s are form memory as my bikes are now 300's and jet abit differently. With a 3.2gal tank I have gone 70miles but it was getting close to being empty. As hodgkins said I use my own kicstand and also the KDX trans swap I do is for the 91-94 KDX250 trans only. The 94-98 1'st gear is a bolt in for your bike though needing only the trans input shaft and matching gear from a 94-98 trans. I have 2 skid plates and they both are unknown off Ebay but the Utah Sport Cycle one is good and slod thru RockeyMountainMC. Ask anything you want and I will try to help.

Ed

• Like 1

How did you disable your bladder Ed? (The forks I mean...)

theres a thread in here about that. I did it on my 01 as well as mess with base stack. didn't help much. got it revalved and its worlds better. during rebuild he also left it disabled. pretty simple from what I remember.

How did you disable your bladder Ed? (The forks I mean...)

Ski here is a thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/545454-disabling-bladders/page__hl__disable%20bladder also search the suspension thread. Also you might try taking out 2 face shims in the base valve and then taking about the 3rd smallest dia. shim and move it between the first 2 face shims and then the rest in the same order. If that is not soft enough take a compression face shim out of the midvalve and if there is only one face shim take out the one behind it then. Try 130 mm of oil.

Ed

Hi. Just saw this post and this is what I do for a 2003 KX250 I ride at altitude (live at 7400 ft). Most of what I ride is mountaing doouble and single track trails between 6000 ft-10,500 ft

Jetting:

150 Main

40 Pilot

Stock Needle w/ clip at # 2 postion from top

Expansion Chamber: FMF Gnarly

Silencer: FMF The Q

At this jetting, summer is fine, but when it get cold in the fall/winter I think I can lean it out some more espoecially at low throttle, like possibly going to a 38 Pilot

I use a 13oz FWW, and it really makes tight trail hill climbing better for me because it doesn't stall out and it smoothens power delivery.

For gearing I am using stock 13/49 sprockets, but will probably switch to a 12T front to improve hill climbing. You can go to a big rear sprocket, but then have to move to a longer length chain.

I have a lighting stator and a kick stand too. Can't remember the brand of the kickstand, but I'll check and post later. My KX has really turned into a great enduro like bike,

I also have a KDX220 setup up really nice, but I think you mentioned yu were going with the KX. I like the KX more than the KDX.

Edited by rodrigeo
  • Like 1

Hi. Just saw this post and this is what I do for a 2003 KX250 I ride at altitude (live at 7400 ft). Most of what I ride is mountaing doouble and single track trails between 6000 ft-10,500 ft

Jetting:

150 Main

40 Pilot

Stock Needle w/ clip at # 2 postion from top

Expansion Chamber: FMF Gnarly

Silencer: FMF The Q

At this jetting, summer is fine, but when it get cold in the fall/winter I think I can lean it out some more espoecially at low throttle, like possibly going to a 38 Pilot

I use a 13oz FWW, and it really makes tight trail hill climbing better for me because it doesn't stall out and it smoothens power delivery.

For gearing I am using stock 13/49 sprockets, but will probably switch to a 12T front to improve hill climbing. You can go to a big rear sprocket, but then have to move to a longer length chain.

I have a lighting stator and a kick stand too. Can't remember the brand of the kickstand, but I'll check and post later. My KX has really turned into a great enduro like bike,

I also have a KDX220 setup up really nice, but I think you mentioned yu were going with the KX. I like the KX more than the KDX.

you have any pictures of your bike? sounds really nice. Have you stuck with that jetting set up?

you have any pictures of your bike? sounds really nice. Have you stuck with that jetting set up?

Yes. Only change is that I've gone to a 12-49 gearing for better climbing. I had 13-49 before.

f62edf3b.jpg

Yes. Only change is that I've gone to a 12-49 gearing for better climbing. I had 13-49 before.

f62edf3b.jpg

Nice bike bro! Question for ya where did y pick up that pipe gaurd ?

Nice bike bro! Question for ya where did y pick up that pipe gaurd ?

That WPS pipe guard you see there is pretty thin. I have know of a few that have broke. I would recommend this http://oemcycle.com/Item/product/900021548

Mine took a hit from the end of a log, didn't bend or kink it, but I did kink my pipe farther back from the shock of the hit.

That WPS pipe guard you see there is pretty thin. I have know of a few that have broke. I would recommend this http://oemcycle.com/...oduct/900021548

Mine took a hit from the end of a log, didn't bend or kink it, but I did kink my pipe farther back from the shock of the hit.

Dang that moose one looks sweet! Saved it to my favorites definitly gonna get 1 for both my bikes.

Currently running the 98 kx250 with 11oz fww, 13-48 gearing, which I think is stock. In anything but extreme conditions, first gear is absurdly short. Michigans basically a sand dune 1 inch below the surface. When I take off in first in sand, I make a lot of noise and go nowhere until 2nd gear. HOWEVER, when riding some extreme single track in Utah I really came to appreciate the short 1st.

Sometimes I'll ride with people that prefer the faster trails/fire roads. According to my bicycle speedo (lol) I can do 54mph max. I get left in the dust by people with wide ratio trannys all day. I'm really considering a 5th gear swap, what can I gain in top end? What 5th gear is compatible? Didn't feel like starting a new thead, thanks.

The kick stand is the first thing I am buying, I am looking at the trail tech kick stand kit. Is there another company I should look at? I understand the work it will take to make it a good woods bike and thanks for the positive thoughts.

Here is what I did for a kick stand on my '02.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/707699-kickstand-help/#entry7346886