Sign in to follow this  

How far should the shifter be from the foot peg?

right now when my arch of my foot is centered on my foot peg the rubber part of my shifter is touching the tip of my toe nail on my boot. shouldn't it be on my bone behind the toe nail? i get a shorter shifter? where should it be?

where ever it feels comfortable. shifters, levers, bars, and all that good adjustable stuff is ALL rider preference.

where ever it feels comfortable. shifters, levers, bars, and all that good adjustable stuff is ALL rider preference.

+1 just play with it move it up or down a notch then ride it if not come back move it again

Rubber part? What year bike do you have? It should be steel tip, so your bike may have the wrong shifter on it. There are some aftermarket shifters with rubber tips, but most that I have seen on other guys bike are 10-15 mm to long and it causes what you just described.

Neutral setting for the shift is to lay and long combination wrench or a level on the foot peg and set the shifter in line with the peg. May need to adjust up one notch if you wear bulky boots or have big feet. With proper setting, you should not need to pull your boot off the peg to shift up or down. Just slide your toe out with out lifting your boot.

im actually refferring to front to back length. not up or down by moving the notches. its 97 RM. and yes its aftermarket but i can cut it and shorten it which what i want to do. i think a 1/2" would help. where does the tip land on your boot?

My boot barely touches the shifter if I have the arch of my foot on the foot peg. Shortening it would help if it makes you feel more comfortable, but you loose some leverage and may have to lift harder to shift.