Sign in to follow this  

crf 70 back wheel skids while shifting

2005 crf 70 every time bike is shifted up or down back wheel locks up for a split second like instantly you can hear the tire skid then it's in gear and it's good from there. Is this normal? With the auto trans, wasn't sure if it was a normal thing or not. My daughter is not ready to shift yet but she will be soon and that will def. freak her out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

never heard that before.....when you operate the shifter it not only changes the gears it also disengages the clutch from the transmission...while riding the bike, operate the shifter but do not let it return to home position and see if the engine will rev freely...that should tell you that the clutch is disengaging properly and if it is you should be able to take that out of the equation....then the problem will have to be in the trans itself....could be something as a worn shifter mechanism not allowing the shift drum to turn completely to the associated gear detent which can lock the counter shaft (hence making the rear wheel lock) if the engine was out of the bike and this happened the counter shaft may or may not remain locked as you try to turn the counter shaft.....because the engine is in the bike, the forward momentum of the machine may be forcing the trans home into the selected gear...not really a good thing......hope this helps

hi there. im not an expert on bikes at all, but i dont think it is possible for two gears to be engaged at once. there should be a small neutral point between each gear, but the shift drum has a spring loaded cam mechanism that forces the tranny past the neutral point (exept for between 1st and 2nd where they want it to stay, there is a valley where the spring loaded roller keeps it put. )

on several occasions my xr100 has gotten caught between 2 gears for a second and made me cringe when it popped into the next gear and lurched forward ( :bonk: i shift without the clutch sometimes :smirk::lol: ).

im guessing the smaller auto bikes also have some neutral zone between gears, or else the tranny would explode if you tried to shift gears.

hold the shifter all the way down and the clutch will disengage. (this is a fun way to pop wheelies, and torture the bike when you let it off when the engine is revved lol. dont blame me when you break the transmission tho. ) if the clutch isnt disengaging, it will jerk when shifting.

if you arent already, let off the gas when shifting. lol