Sign in to follow this  

California Helmet law off road?

Thanksgiving weekend in the desert just about everybody I saw on a motorcycle was wearing a helmet. I know there's helmet laws for street bikes in California but do you need to have a helmet legally off road?

Alex

• Like 1

no helmet required for a dirt bike on BLM land or in the USFS areas, it is required on all lands for a quad, it is required in State OHV parks.

That's my understanding as well.

I'll never ride without one though.

no helmet required for a dirt bike on BLM land or in the USFS areas, it is required on all lands for a quad, it is required in State OHV parks.

ding ding ding.. winner!

Didn't know that, learn something new everyday. I will still always wear one even if it's new.

Thank you. My uncle never wore a helmet in thirty years of riding, it was his ex-wife that killed him. It's nice to know that the land of the free and the home of the brave still exists at least out in the desert. Not that I won't get one, I just want to ride before I can afford to.

Thank you. My uncle never wore a helmet in thirty years of riding, it was his ex-wife that killed him. It's nice to know that the land of the free and the home of the brave still exists at least out in the desert. Not that I won't get one, I just want to ride before I can afford to.

wait a minute.....you can afford a dirtbike and not a helmet?? :smirk: helmets are cheap. ive been using the same $39 fly helmet for the last 3 years.

I think it should be our choice whether we wear a helmet or not, and not the governments, but cost is a stupid reason not to wear one.

Are you from Arizona? My buddy from Arizon tells me they dont care much for helmets over there and many dont bother to register there bikes

No, born and raised in California. The cheapest helmet I've seen so far was close to $100. Not sure where you buy the $39 ones.

Question... Has anybody ever encountered an LEO on BLM or Forestry land while riding without a helmet? The vehicle code says "No person, on and after January 1, 1989, shall operate, ride, or be otherwise propelled on an all-terrain vehicle on public lands unless the person wears a safety helmet meeting requirements established for motorcycles and motorized bicycles, pursuant to Section 27802. "

I was always under the assumption a helmet is required no matter what vehicle you were on. Technically, a dirt bike can be considered an "all terrain" vehicle. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Learn something new everyday.

I'm just curious. I wear my helmet every time, all the time. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it first hand.

I do think it's not very smart to ride without a helmet. Guess it could be a way of thinning the herd.

I guess riding without one off road would bring the Darwin law into account!!

A few years ago one in our camp was riding a pit bike at night without a helmet (not something I approve of) and got pulled over by a BLM ranger. Received a ticket for no light but the officer told him good thing he wasn't on a quad as he would have tagged him for no helmet as well. Does seem crazy that you can't ride on the road without one but it's ok off-road. That said all state parks and OHV areas require a helmet.

A few years ago one in our camp was riding a pit bike at night without a helmet (not something I approve of) and got pulled over by a BLM ranger. Received a ticket for no light but the officer told him good thing he wasn't on a quad as he would have tagged him for no helmet as well. Does seem crazy that you can't ride on the road without one but it's ok off-road. That said all state parks and OHV areas require a helmet.

Thanks for this post. I was just wondering what they might say for riding without one.

It doesn't make sense that you don't need one off road. A small get off, and a rock through the skull could easily happen. Not my idea of a good time.

Is it really that big of a deal riding without one? I'm surprised that everyone seems to care so much. Isn't it just a matter of personal preference?

No, born and raised in California. The cheapest helmet I've seen so far was close to $100. Not sure where you buy the $39 ones.

Around here, there are a ton of used helmets on craigslist for fairly cheap. I wouldn't buy a used helmet personally, but it would definately be better than nothing.

The only law I'm worried about with regard to helmets is the law of physics.