Sign in to follow this  

Top end has strange noise

Have a 2003 200 mxc, I would say the top end has 20 hours on it. The last couple times I rode the bike, it has been making this high pitched sound that sounds like a 85 2 stroke when it gets into the higher RPMs. I notice it in the higher gears, but if Im cruising in one gear or accelerating, the noise is there whenever Im on the gas.

The only 2 things I have done to the bike since I rebuilt it, and right before the noise appeared: Put in 1 size smaller main jet for ride at higher elevation, and tried using 100 oct. aviation gas mixed with 91. The AV gas didnt do anything, so I drained it and put fresh 91 back in, and it still makes the noise.

Can anyone tell me if there's a problem here, and what it might be?

Maybe try putting the other main jet back.If it's sounding like a 85, you could be lean.Just a stab in the dark but hard to tell from your description.

I put in a richer main jet, it still makes that noise. I noticed it doesnt make the noise at full throttle, but from middle-upper rpm's, even if I'm at 1/4 throttle. I dont think it has anything to do with jetting.

When I rebuilt the top end, I installed VForce 3 reeds and noticed they dont have reed stops like the stock ones do. Are they supposed to be like that?

Aside from the engine making that high-pitched noise, the bike seems like it doesnt have as much power from before it started making the noise. Trying to figure out what it could be...anyone have any ideas?