Sign in to follow this  

California Foresthill advice please

Heading up to foresthill this weekend. I've never been there before so I'd appreciate some advice on the must hit trails. Skill level is intermediate to advanced riders.

Thanks in advance, blurry25

I think trail 5 is by far the most fun trail there. If you are going for a day, park at China Wall and ride trails 5 and 6. We are planning to head up there Monday, camp at Sugar Pine and ride Tuesday also. No camping allowed at China Wall.

Basically every trail at Forest Hill other than 5 and 6 are designed for your casual family rider. Quad track sized trails with no difficulty of any kind.

5 is a fun and moderately challenging trail with a lot of variety on it. 6 is by far the most fun, technical and physically appealing trail there. 6 is tough for your average rider though, don't take beginners on it.

I think trail 5 is by far the most fun trail there. If you are going for a day, park at China Wall and ride trails 5 and 6. We are planning to head up there Monday, camp at Sugar Pine and ride Tuesday also. No camping allowed at China Wall.

yep park at china wall ride loop 6, or 5, skip all the amatuers at sugar pine.

What nobody rides Devils Thumb anymore?

*******! :smirk:

Edited by superslyko
Do not ride that trail alone...........................

You can't right now, unless you pack a chainsaw. Nor should it be recommended to anyone randomly on here.

& 6 is clear? I don't think so. If downed trees will keep you back............. you shouldn't be riding at all. Wait until summer.

Recommending anything, online, randomly, is a risk. I once had an accomplished guy take me & a Beginner Group of 12 to a 200 yard cliff section, where 1 wrong move & you're in for a world of hurt or dead. :bonk: Luck like that is awe inspiring.

If you're into easy...................... take up a different sport. :lol:

Come on man! :smirk:

Edited by superslyko
And I LIKE Tapeleg! & no ........... I am not a beginner. I may look like 1 though.

Sitting here waiting for the supercross to start after a great day of riding at foresthill. Thanks for the trail suggestion. We ended up riding 6 and had a blast doing it. Its nice finishing a ride and feeling like you were challenged.

There's a tree on DT that you cannot get over or around. You have to cut it. 6 has trees downed but they are all small and easily navigable.

I thought Forrest Hill was closed after 12/31 no matter what the conditions were???

Unless something's changed this year, FH is almost certainly closed for the next 4 or 5 months.

I'm heading up next Saturday. Can anyone confirm that it is open? I checked Rider Planet and it says its open and others in this thread are riding so I assume it is open.

Was it dry and dusty?

its open!surprising though.i was there sat.no snow.

Anyone going to be there tomorrow... if luck shines on me today, I should have the bike back together and ready to ride so I'm itching to get out...

Rode trail five and six friday it was very dusty. Kinda reminded me of a late summer ride. There are a few trees across the trail but you can easily get around them. I need to get back up there and cut them out.

Took my family up on Saturday and rode trails 1, 2, 3, 7 and some of 5. The lower number trails were perfect for my little guy on his Honda 70. Conditions were mostly dry with some moisture in some of the shady canyon areas. Now I need to hook up with someone and ride 5 & 6. :smirk:

January2012029.jpg

January2012011.jpg

January2012013.jpg

January2012030.jpg

January2012034.jpg

January2012024.jpg

Edited by mxgregg

Yes! I advise you to go to Foresthill and ride as much as possible. Please take plenty of water and a GPS so that you don't dehydrate or get lost. Spraying your bike with gallons of armorall will help prevent the red dirt from staining your plastic.... Now, go forward and get dirty!!!!!!

Edited by vidarapido