Sign in to follow this  

whats the benefit of special "works" tires

I'm reading thru MXA and it says dungeys bike had works tires I understand and know what they are but at a motocross tire what would be the benefit of works tires for dirtbikes? In rock crawling and 4x4 special sticky compounds are created for rocks and obviously slicks for road racing in motogp and f1 etc but tires on a dirt bike wear fast already not to mention having a special mold for a tire that will only see maybe 3-5 riders. Seems not worth it or is it just a prototype testing thing where the public will get it eventually. Just curious if anyone has any info regarding this

Thanks

The tire has a huge influence on the character of the bike.

The flex character influences suspension settings, the sidewall height obviously affects ride balance, and of course the actual tread and compound for traction plus again the flex characteristic and turning.

I'd bet money they are as light as possible and much lighter than a production tire...

I heard the true works tires are worth over a second a lap when given to a privateer who qualifies for mains...that's no joke!

I remember an interview with, I think a dunlop racer support guy? not sure who. not important...

anyway he said people get mad all the time that the factories are "holding out" and keeping the production tires cheaper etc etc. He said that they could do the works tires for similar money once they have the development done, but that they only last a moto, and they'd end up labelled as garbage cheapo tires because of it.

I can believe that, if you go to thinner, sharper lug shoulders; more of an elastomer carcass, and a softer/stickier compound that they'd be roasted as soon as they left their designed terrain type.

When you have companies spending millions of dollars in advertising and salary's for their rider to do the best they can, you can bet your last dollar that they will do anything in their power to win. For a tire company to make a specific mold and compound is not that difficult considering what they are good at.

Next time you get a chance look close at the details. You will see tires that don't have any markings on the carcass and a tread pattern you have never seen before. That's what the factory has the capability to do.

I was checking out Reed's bike last year at Steel City. The rear wheel didn't have a valve stem or a rim lock and of course no markings on the tire. I still wonder if they are doing r&d on mechanically or chemically fixing the tire to the wheel and a tire that doesn't need air for support.

I have seen factory tire reps. refuse to give used tires back to the privateers after changing out for fresh rubber. Then they would ask, "Where did you get this tire? You are not supposed to have this tire." Certainly the factory guys think there is benefit to non-public tires.

Dunlop is notorious for making special tires for every occasion. You walk past the dunlop truck during a race weekend and you'll see a sign that says "MX51" on it and you're like, "hey I know that tire" but sadly you don't. That MX51 shares no relationship with the production model. I know some of the guys who fit tires and I've been able to hold the factory tires, they are super light, super soft compound. The knobs are actually made of a different thickness rubber then the carcass, so what happens is, the sidewall bends, but the knobs stay straight and rigid which means they dig-in.

Pirelli is the only one of the top brands that has their race tire available to the public. I'm not sure if they are imported to the US, but the MX32 is the closest imported "production" tire to a worx tire you can buy. They are a soft carcass with hard knobs, just like those dunlops and they offer a ton of grip. Just bought a set and man they are awesome! I wouldn't doubt its pretty damn close to what the US MX/SX guys are running, unlike the Dunlops.

wow thanks for all the info, i figured it was similar to other motorsports. I have noticed that lots of the tires on the factory bikes have seriously awesome lug pattern. dual compound and lightness would be sweet and can definitely see the the benefit!

The tire has a huge influence on the character of the bike.

The flex character influences suspension settings, the sidewall height obviously affects ride balance, and of course the actual tread and compound for traction plus again the flex characteristic and turning.

I'd bet money they are as light as possible and much lighter than a production tire...

I heard the true works tires are worth over a second a lap when given to a privateer who qualifies for mains...that's no joke!

This is so true... and super unfair to the field of private riders...

Equally good riders will have one rider crashing attempting to stay up with the other rider on factory tires

.... materials are everything, tires are next to everything

Edited by solimine

This is so true... and super unfair to the field of private riders...

Equally good riders will have one rider crashing attempting to stay up with the other rider on factory tires

.... materials are everything, tires are next to everything

If it were truely "too unfair" then the rules would be changed. Racing is about doing everything you can for an advantage, and its also about product developement and pushing the envelope. Future products come from this testing/racing. If everything had to be perfectly fair then everyone should be on a stock bike. Unless one was better than another. So they better all be on the same make/model stock bike. Now developement doesn't matter as much, and we are all riding 1985 CR's in 2012......

Really though, I just always hate the "it's unfair" argument. If one guy is barely scraping by and can't afford an aftermarket pipe, should no one else ba allowed to run them, just to be fair? If I have no time between work and family to ride, should everyone else have to be out of shape like me, to be fair? I know that's taking it a couple of extra steps, I'm just making a point.

If it were truely "too unfair" then the rules would be changed.

Now, that's funny...

...and Goldman Sachs is a benevolent society

Edited by solimine

Now, that's funny...

...and Goldman Sachs is a benevolent society

Fair is not when everybody gets two cookies each, and this forum is not the place for sociopolitical discussions.

Fair is not when everybody gets two cookies each, and this forum is not the place for sociopolitical discussions.

Didn't realize I crossed into the social-political world..

My comment was directed at the AMA rules committee. I just think they should level the playing field before there's no field left to play... Like they did in the 1974 Class C program... when they changed the rules halfway through the season to accommodate one large manufacturer. The result was a two to three fold increase in cost to run up front...

My interest is to preserve racing... that's all.