Sign in to follow this  

HELP crf50 pit bike questions!!!

Hi guys this ma first thread but I need some help. My friend. Wants to sell me his crf50 for 125 dollars and an old netbook I never use. I think its a steal, and it works perfectly. Problem is, I weigh round 140 and im 5'6. What would I need to mod if anything? He also swears its 72cc. Is this possible? I have 350 dollars saved up now. Should I save up for another half a year and get a ssr125 pit bike for $670 and do they last? Or should I get the crf50 now and just do sum mods?

Thank you if you can answer any of these questions I really apreiciate it.

I am pro Honda so of course I would say go for the Honda but sounds like you may be strapped for cash and with your size you probably will damage the Honda frame soon unless you spend a few bucks on it to strengthen it up a little and set the bike up to be more comfortable (you did not say if the bike is stock or has any mods)....the SSR will fit you better and probably will not chopper out too quickly...there will be issues with it but once you get them sorted out it should be ok as long as you do not push it beyond its capabilities and limitations. Depends on what you want to do really...like I said, I would go with the reliable Honda but that may not be good for you (financially)....add more to your post explaining if the Honda is stock or modded any at all

Thank you!I am 13 so can't really earn a whole lot fast. My parents hate the idea of a dirt bike so I have no support which stinks lol.I have tons of junk to sell though. Anyways I saw 8" tall bmx handlebars on ebay for $50. They said it was compatible with the crf50. Is It possible to take the throttle and brake assembly and move them onto the bmx bars? Also, Where can I get some decent or good quality shocks that are a bit stiffer. I will also Get either the tb88cc big bore kit or a 125cc Lifan. Which would you suggest? I just got a welder too so would I need to strengthen some Joints?Any recommendations would be appreciated for modding.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need a top clamp for the big bars to mount to and the stock 50 throttle will not work with tall bars...you will need tall bar throttle kit.....you will need a big bars brake perch/lever assembly plus cable......the BEST shock hands down for a CRF50 is a Fox Float...so darn adjustable it will make your eyes bleed but it is almost $300...you can buy a cheap Chinese shock like a Fastace but they are a bit stiff and springy....a +1 fork and spring kit for the front will set you back anothert $100 or so....88 kit is a great way to go...really makes the little 50 come alive although a 125 is a cheap overall way to get more performance (may loose reliability tho depends)...Pit King sold a CRF50 frame brace that is a bolt on and helps keep the stock frame from bending (it only works with a stock motor with stock carb) they are around $80...you can make one easy tho.....I have a new one that I am not using but I would need $50 plus shipping for it (cheaper just to make one)...best not so expensive mod (IMO) is tall bars, air box mod,tall seat, XR/CRF70 suspension w/swingarm....makes the bike much more rideable

Ok first of all I know this sounds extremely stupid but I cannot figure out how to post a thread?!?! So I will continue my pit bike problems here.

I am on a tight budget( I am a kid). I have decided to try and save up more and go for an ssr 150tx or an ssr 150r. As I said I am on a budget and was wondering If I should spend a couple 100 dollars more on the 150r. If I just got the 150tx I would be able to further upgrade it with the money saved. What do you think?

I saw the 150tx on t-bolt's site and I saw a ssr 160r. The description says it is a 150cc though. Is it a 150r? Thank you for the help I want to make the right decision with my money.

I think if its clean, you should bring it home, clean it up, and flip it for a profit