stolen bike

back in august my bike was stolen, a well spoken man, dressed smart with a brief case came to look at my DRZ400 supermoto, he said he was at a buisness meeting in newcastle and would like to come and see the bike before he went home, when he came i didnt think anything of it, i have sold over 10 bikes and cars over the past 4 years and what happened i never expected it, he asked for a go and that was the last time i seen my bike, he casually rolled away and rode off, luckily my insurance paid out, but the reason why i am posting this is to see if this has happened to anyone else or something similar, any information would be greatly appreciated

Back in the 70's this happened to my dad. He had an XL175 out in front of the house with a for sale sign on it and a guy saw it and wanted to test ride it. My dad let him and we could hear the bike fade away in the distance, he had a hooker header on it (back in the good old days when a header was a reverse magaphone with no baffle). I think back now and he had no car, just walked up, looked at it, and wanted to ride it.

When I've sold cars or bkes in the past, if I don't know them personallly, they will leave their wallet with me, driver's license, credit cards, cash and all, OR THEY DON'T GET TO RIDE!

back in august my bike was stolen, a well spoken man, dressed smart with a brief case came to look at my DRZ400 supermoto, he said he was at a buisness meeting in newcastle and would like to come and see the bike before he went home, when he came i didnt think anything of it, i have sold over 10 bikes and cars over the past 4 years and what happened i never expected it, he asked for a go and that was the last time i seen my bike, he casually rolled away and rode off, luckily my insurance paid out, but the reason why i am posting this is to see if this has happened to anyone else or something similar, any information would be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure you have all the details here...but this guy walked up in a suit and tie with a briefcase got on your DRZ and rode off? Did he leave the briefcase with you to make it seem even a little bit legit?.. or did he take his briefcase along on the test ride?

Back in the 70's this happened to my dad. He had an XL175 out in front of the house with a for sale sign on it and a guy saw it and wanted to test ride it. My dad let him and we could hear the bike fade away in the distance, he had a hooker header on it (back in the good old days when a header was a reverse magaphone with no baffle). I think back now and he had no car, just walked up, looked at it, and wanted to ride it.

When I've sold cars or bkes in the past, if I don't know them personallly, they will leave their wallet with me, driver's license, credit cards, cash and all, OR THEY DON'T GET TO RIDE!

The type of person that is willing to rip off your bike up close and personal most likely has no problem handing you a stolen wallet, credit card, or what ever collateral you may ask for.

Let's face it the worst thing about owning a bike is selling it. You have to do whatever you think is prudent to protect yourself from theft, lawsuits whatever! I won't let anyone ride a bike I'm selling unless it's a close personal friend, I'll demonstrate the function of the clutch all the gears, the brakes, and any other system. If the perspective buyer isn't OK with that and won't buy then that's OK with me. Too much liability. After letting someone road test a bike years ago and getting hit by a car on it I will never again put myself in a postion where I could end up sued or ripped off.

Tech25

yeah he left the brief case with me

Did you open it...or are you waiting for him to come back? Must have been a nice briefcase to even up trade a DRZ for. I'm thinking there was a piece of paper inside that said....SUCKER.

Sorry to be so harsh man....I have had a truck, and 3 bikes stolen, the 3 bikes were stolen all at the same time so I know how it feels. You realize that means that there were three POS that had to ride my bikes off the property, not just one dirtbag!! They broke into a building, cut cables and case hardened chains too. I have learned one thing in this life look out for #1 because no one else will. These days trust is not given automatically with me you have to earn it. Unfortunately family values and morals are a thing of the past for many today, it seems their thinking is why work for it when I can just take it. I'm thinking you will learn to be more vigilant and I hope it never happens to you again. I hope you get your bike back and the A**wipe that took it gets some jail time.

Tech25

• 2 weeks later...

When I have sold bikes I make sure they leave their car and keys with me.

When selling cars, the car doesn't leave without me in it until I have cash in hand.

You have to becareful because they could come in a stolen car and still ride off with it. It happened in Sydney recently guy left the ute and rode off with a guys gas gas and its not until they guy never returned and he called the police that he found out the ute was stolen. I would meet at a public place and wouldnt let them test ride without a full cash deposit just to be on the safe side.

My buddy was trying to sell his 2006 Fz6r on Craigs and this guy showed up that was interested in buying. The guy seemed legit and asked for a test ride. my buddy said only if he leaves the keys to his car, which the guy agree'ed to, and never came back. Turns out, the car was stolen. Makes me worry about craigslist sometimes.

i also used to date this chick who's ex husband was the guy on the local news here for showing up to people's houses for an item, then robbing them at gunpoint! he's currently serving #3 of a 10 year sentence