Sign in to follow this  

09 450 Overheating

Has anyone had any issues with the 09 450 Boyesen water pump and impeller? It seems like this thing goes through bearings and seals every year or so. Tons of slop in this impeller to the point where you can see where it's rubbing on the inside of the cover.

Wow.. Never heard that before. I would go back to stock and use engine ice only in the bike.. and if necessary go to the oversize billit radiators. I Broke my radiator in a Hare Scramble, got a smokin deal on ebay for a new MISHIMOTO is the brand!!!AWESOME~!!!! radiator and i can sit at idle in the florida heat and not over heat ever it seems like... its crazy!! I also wrap my header pipe... and have silicone hoses also.

Edited by gere168

I did go back to the stock impeller and cover, but no change. I'm a firm believer in the engine ice. This is the 3rd time I have to replace the bearings and seals. I also got the impeller shaft in hopes that it might be worn out causing the issue. I can see with only 1 bearing that there's going to be some play in it and being that the boyesen impeller looks like it's almost double the size can add quite a bit of off balance movement and stress on the bearing. This problem just started over the past week or so. It's puking out all the coolant through the overflow tube. Replaced the cap already thinking it was weak.

I have heard of 2 different crf450's having had the bearing surface of the case not perfectly machined straight so the bearing wore out extremely fast. just something to look into.

I did go back to the stock impeller and cover, but no change. I'm a firm believer in the engine ice. This is the 3rd time I have to replace the bearings and seals. I also got the impeller shaft in hopes that it might be worn out causing the issue. I can see with only 1 bearing that there's going to be some play in it and being that the boyesen impeller looks like it's almost double the size can add quite a bit of off balance movement and stress on the bearing. This problem just started over the past week or so. It's puking out all the coolant through the overflow tube. Replaced the cap already thinking it was weak.

I second the over size rad solution. And its quite a bit more reasonable cost than the Boyesen setup.

Another thought, since you say your sending coolant out the overflow tube, that's usually an indication of a failed head gasket.

I wouldn't mind hearing what advantages you realize using engine ice over standard antifreeze.

Another thought, since you say your sending coolant out the overflow tube, that's usually an indication of a failed head gasket.

Its an indication of increased pressure in the cooling system. It is usually due to heat in the water starting to boil off and exceed the holding capacity of the radiator cap. However, a leak from combustion chamber to water jacket will cause it to puke without being excessively hot.

Has anyone had any issues with the 09 450 Boyesen water pump and impeller? It seems like this thing goes through bearings and seals every year or so. Tons of slop in this impeller to the point where you can see where it's rubbing on the inside of the cover.

When it starts spitting out it is not that it is overheating. it is that the pressure inside the radiator is so high that it has to escape somewhere, hence the radiator cap. there is a number on top of the cap that is normally like 1.1. the best thing to do or what i would do is get the highest rating cap you can, then fill it up with engine ice, then replace not just the shaft but the bearing, the shaft, both seals, and in your case put the boyesen impeller and cover back on. if the shaft is wobbling it is most likely going to cause damage to the bearing. with all of that i dont think there will ever be an overheating problem.

i tried the engine ice and my bike's seals went south shortly after that i thought is was just a fluke but my friend had the same problem on two of his bikes i do not think it works as a lubricant and i have also heard motors using ice having corrosion problems.antifreeze seems to work just great the service manual says antifreeze and i went back to it never had a problem with antifreeze and i never had overheating issues either

Well I ripped it down last night. The right crank seal was pretty much non-existant. Almost every bit of oil out out of the trans was gone. He was riding the bike when it happened and didn't realize it, so you can imagine what the clutches looked like. I was amazed that the engine oil wasn't totally overfilled. Where the oil went, I have no idea. Replaced the right seal, cleaned all the shit out of it, and fired it up. It's leaking oil out of the weep hole and still overheating. I only used water in it this time, but very interesting about the seals going bad from the engine ice. I have a hard time believing that the head gasket is shot. Usually there's a transfer of fluid that indicates a blown head gasket. No oil in the coolant or the opposit, no discoloration of the plug which usually has a tint of the color of the coolant which in this case would be blueish. I know the WP bearing is shot, so I ordered the whole assembly with the impeller shaft. I'm still not sold that it's the WP causing the issue. I loaned my leakdown tester to someone and now I can't remember who. Old age is kicking my ass and costing me money now! Thanks for all the tips and theories!