Sign in to follow this  

KTM Enduro 690 experiences?

This is not really a 'which bike should I get' thing, as I already have one, but I was looking for any experiences with this one before I get rid and go back to a smaller version!

I have a 690 Enduro R for green laning in the UK - big deep muddy ruts and tracks, wet slippery chalk, narrow forest trails - not fire roads or dirt tracks or that sort of thing.

On previous bikes (250 EXC & 400 EXC 4 stroke), I can hop up banks, throw the bike around, and zip down the ruts with no worries or wobbles.

I get on the 690 and within an hour I'm knackered! I lose it constantly in deep muddy bottomless ruts, can't stay on my feet for long and struggle like hell in any deep mud. It's got TKC80 Twinduros on.... down to 10psi at the front and 8psi at the back (maybe that's the problem).

I've tried shifting my weight more over the front when standing, sitting back and pulling out with power...all sorts of tricks but still find it so top heavy.

I use it very occasionally for commuting - less than I had originally thought. So not really a factor anymore.

So I looking to see how others are getting on in the bogs with the 690 Beast - persevere? or go back to an EXC.....

Would a different tyre choice like AC10s or Maxis really make all the difference?

(Just been out today on it - it loves the big byways and massive puddles, chalky steep and rutty hills, but deep mud? I just lose it.....)

Cheers.

A smaller bike will weigh less. Simple physics says you are having issues with a bigger, more powerful and heavier bike.

I run my 690 in the western USA where I want to be able to ride between 100-300 miles on any given day. Those smaller bikes just won't do that for me.

I went from a 125 to the 690, and it was real tough for me too, I kept sliding around everywhere and broke several parts... until I got rid of the TKC-80 and put some MT-21. What a difference, now I feel I can anywhere I could with the 125, and faster than it ever could. I do cross some EXC on the forest paths I take, and in the rough they are more nimble around the bigs rocks, but once we hit a faster section or the road I leave them behind. I have done the typical mods (exhaust, crash bars, engine guard, air filter, spring, etc) and I would not swap it for any EXC now. I am planning to do some multi-day "fun rallies" with camping this year, the 690 is perfect for that with a saddle bag.

How about when you're in the deep wet mud? That's where I loose it... But I'm wondering whether some aggressive knobblies will do the trick.

I don't have a 690 But on my TE449 I went to full on non DOT knobbies and WOW! what a difference!

Can't hurt.