Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Spongy after lever replacement

Hey guys so my front brake was working fine with no issues at all..... I was given a set of ASV levers for Christmas and now the front feel spongy, I have to pull it more in order for it to catch. I've adjusted the lever, doesn't work. I've also changed the fluid and bled the brake system and that didn't work. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Edited by guitarman1996
Left out a word

A few things could be happening

1: you have air in your system you may have to power bleed the system.It really doesn't take much air to mess up your brakes

2: your front brake line is expanding not letting your system use the pressure in the line on your brakes, over time the original brake lines that are made of rubber weaken you may have to replace your brake line if you replace it go with a braided line you shouldn't need to replace it again unless you wreck it yourself. I had the same issue with my son's bike this summer and as far as the cost of the line it was actually cheaper buying a braided line over OEM.We spent hours tring to get all the air out finally went to a shop and had our mechanic power bleed the system its is better than original now.I guess one other thing may be happening your master cylinder may need to be rebuilt. What I found out is if it's not leaking it probaly is ok though. the front brake system isn't real complicated so it should be easy to fix just gets a little annoying at times.Hope this helps.

Any idea why it didn't feel that way with the original lever? I thought if it was the line then it would feel that way no matter what lever is on there.

maybe the leverage of the lever changed because the design doesnt follow OEM dimensions entirely. I know when I did that to my bike, ASV brake, it felt different, at that point I also just said efff it and bought a steel line.

yep the new Asv lever could be giving you more pressure on your system if so it will make the bad line even worst.If you have no visible leaks around the master cylinder or brake caliber also when you check your brake caliper make sure the pistons move freely. I my self would replace the line and have the system power bled at a shop.You can replace the line yourself the only thing a shop has to do is power bleed your brake. I know i tried every possible way of bleeding our brakes and nothing worked I even went and bought a hand held power bleeder from Autozone it didn't work so I ended up taking it to our mechanic he used his power bleeder and the problem was fixed.Hope this helps and good luck.

you just need a vacuum bleeder, we also have a pneumatic one, but we only used it once. the vacuum bleeder usually gets the job done.

Or another suggestion is to reverse bleed by disconnecting the caliper from the line, using a air compressor to pop out pistons in caliper, then fill caliper with brake fluid, reconnect line, and then push pistons in until they are all the way in. make sure you have someone at the MC to catch the fluid as it fills the reservoir, or else you will get a gigantic mess. At that point you might as well even put a new line on because that is almost none of the work to swap out.

Not meaning to get off subject what type of vacuum bleeder do you have? The one I bought was a Mityvac didn't work for us.I figured the time and cost of the bleeder I was farther ahead to have a mechanic do the bleeding Mityvac Bleeder was 30 sum dollars our mechanic charged 20 bucks.Either way he goes I think if he replaces the line and gets the air out he will be fine.

Its a craftsman one. I have seen the same exact casted bleeder with different names on it. its got a little gauge and pump handle and several little attachments including a reservoir, and ends for the bleeder to fit onto.

Thanks guys, that makes sense...I'll try to replace the line and see what happens...Any recommendations on what line to get? I see mixed reviews about all of them...

thanks I will check out it out I know a Mityvac didn't work.

If it pulls a vacuum, it will work.

I have a Mityvac and it has worked just fine on cars, pickups, and bikes.

Unless you happened to get one that was bad right out of the box, I'm guessing that there is some "operator error" going on.

I'm not rying to be an *********, but I think you are doing it wrong.