Sign in to follow this  

XR400... Al Baker... Advice???

I'm looking for a used inexpensive all-purpose bike and LOVE the older Honda XR's ( currently race a hopped up '79 XR250 flattracker). I know of a 1997 xr400 for sale and the guy calls it an "Al Baker" edition. The guy says it has lots of compression, runs good if pull started, but needs a kickstart gear to be able to kick it over.

Price is right. Anything suspicious about the kickstart thing or are these bikes prone to breaking the internal gear when used w/high-comp pistons?

Whats an Al Baker edition?

Any advice? Should I run away from it or run toward it?

Thanks,

Kyle#44x

I'm looking for a used inexpensive all-purpose bike and LOVE the older Honda XR's ( currently race a hopped up '79 XR250 flattracker). I know of a 1997 xr400 for sale and the guy calls it an "Al Baker" edition. The guy says it has lots of compression, runs good if pull started, but needs a kickstart gear to be able to kick it over.

Price is right. Anything suspicious about the kickstart thing or are these bikes prone to breaking the internal gear when used w/high-comp pistons?

Whats an Al Baker edition?

Any advice? Should I run away from it or run toward it?

Thanks,

Kyle#44x

I think they beefed up the kick starter after 98 or 99 because some were having issues.

As far as an Al Baker edition,,, I would imagine it's just a XR's only built motor.

Probably so much compression it keeps busting kick starters.,Just guessing,,If the guy was serious about someone buying the bike he'd fix the kicker to show you that it can actually be started with the kickstarter,,Tell him to repair it and you'll consider the deal.,Easy enough job so no real excuses for him not to repair it..,Who wants to be trying to crash start a high compressioned bike all the time,,Virtually impossible to crash start my 600s even in 3rd or 4th and they are just stock Piston wise,.Wouldn't even consider a crash start attempt on a couple of them in the wet or on a greasy trail.,

Thanks for the advice. I would want to hear it run and ride it before even considering buying it... So I agree on the kickstart thing. The seller might just be lazy though, has a couple other fairly nice bikes with small problems for sale cheap. I'm trying to figure out if I can get a steal of a deal here or if I should stay away. Might be one of those "too good to be true" deals.

I may go check it out and see if I can bumpstart it... I have gotten pretty good at starting my flattracker at 13:1 comp... Has lots to do with backing it off compression.

I have to sell some KTM parts to fund this anyway so it may take a couple weeks. I just hope the sweet deal is still out there when I get the $$ together.

Thanks again,

Kyle#44x

See what the comp. ratio is on the motor, hopefully he knows. If it's built up higher than 11:1 the reliability start dropping off fast.