Sign in to follow this  

Spark Plug

I have a 2005 KX 125 I just got for my son. It has a NGK BR9EIX in it from previous owner. The local shop does not have any in stock but said my year bike is calling for a NGK R6918B9 which is more expensive. The BR9EIX was used in 97-03. He also has a NGK BR9ECMVX in stock which he will give me for $5. That is the plug the 06 to 08 KX 125 was calling for and it is also use in some KTM 2 strokes. Does it matter what plug as long as they are all the same heat range. They all fit?

the differences will be in the electrode and other component material. they should all work fine provided you stick to the same, 9, heat range. you may end up replacing them more frequently or have a tiny loss in power production from using an alternate plug. but you won't hurt anything.

the differences will be in the electrode and other component material. they should all work fine provided you stick to the same, 9, heat range. you may end up replacing them more frequently or have a tiny loss in power production from using an alternate plug. but you won't hurt anything.

Thanks, thats what I thought.

I run my nephew's '05 KX125 with a BR8EIX, same as what I use in my '06 YZ250.

One heat range hotter seems to prevent plug fouling, especially if you are riding slower single track trails. If all you run is MX tracks wide open, then the 9 would be fine. I am fond of the iridium plugs...the smaller electrode seems to foul less.

iMO, proper jetting is more important than the exact plug.

been using Br8's and 9's since 1974, never had an issue yet other than fouling due to slow riding.

BTW, the plugs are available at any auto parts store for $2.xx ea. The EIX are too, at about $6.xx ea.

Any NGK BR9E** will work just fine. I prefer the fine-wire electrodes (Platinum, Irridium) because they last longer, but even the standard electrode will work just fine.

I pay $5.99 for my EIX plugs at Autozone.

You can use any other brand as well, as long as it has a 14mm thread diameter, 19mm thread reach, has the correct heat range, and is a resistor plug.