Sign in to follow this  

2012 issues

Yes, so after extensive research and speaking to a lot of tuners, the 2012 crf450 has a known issue with the slight hesitation / hiccup right off idle. Stock, or modified with Eddies map...still there. Have talked to others with exact same issue. Other well known tuners have received calls on the same thing. Dyno will help pinpoint / rule out the issue and that is being done this weekend. I will post results on the fix. My guess is map tweaking (i bet Eddie and others are working on this) and making sure the TPS is calibrated correctly from factory......Heads up buyers.

maybe on the stand, but so do other bikes if you wick the throttle from a dead idle in neutral. My 2012 honda has no hiccup off idle on the track. Maybe im lucky.

I guess it depends on how picky you are....Many will likely not notice it when idle is set higher and they ride the bike on wide open stuff....BUT, several areanacross and SX guys I know can make it happen on a bone stocker right out of a corner hitting a double , triple.....for example, land on double gasssssss, bog, oh shit should i still hit the triple!! its a small bug that simply needs to be tuned out...Thats all.....but maybe you are one of the lucky ones to have it perfect from the factory

maybe on the stand, but so do other bikes if you wick the throttle from a dead idle in neutral. My 2012 honda has no hiccup off idle on the track. Maybe im lucky.

Ditto... mine is spot on no nothing to speak of any where in the range.

Very happy with my new Hon so far

Ditto... mine is spot on no nothing to speak of any where in the range.

Very happy with my new Hon so far

same here, perfect.

the stock mapping is lean off idle, common knowledge, anyone with a honda tuner can fix it, its no big secret. Don't read too much into it. Also, there are dozens if not more places to map your ECU, its not some magic trick that only one guy knows how to do.

If its still doing it after the remap, Id advance the tps a tiny bit. You'll have to get the special security torx bit to loosen it, but you can get them pretty easy. The TPS is pretty sensitive. If its not in the right place the ECU thinks the throttle isnt open as far as it is and doesnt add fuel and timing when it should.

If it gets better when you advance it..you know which way to go. Same if it gets worse. You can always put it back where it was too.

If its still doing it after the remap, Id advance the tps a tiny bit. You'll have to get the special security torx bit to loosen it, but you can get them pretty easy. The TPS is pretty sensitive. If its not in the right place the ECU thinks the throttle isnt open as far as it is and doesnt add fuel and timing when it should.

If it gets better when you advance it..you know which way to go. Same if it gets worse. You can always put it back where it was too.

Just how critical is the position of the TPS. Our 11 is seems like it could use a bit of fuel when cold, and it takes a long tome to warm up to operating temp. It's not easy to get at, so its not like you can just make a change and easily change it back if its not right. Then there isn't a whole lot of info in the manual about how to put it back into position, and know if its right or not.

I don't notice anything on my '11. Feels great.

However, a much faster fellow rode my bike and he said that he would notice a slight hesitation when he'd crack the throttle out of a turn.

I'm not going to mess with it until I notice it and it bothers me.

I think a lot has to do with individual riding style. I noticed a lot (stalling/flameout) till Eddie remapped my ECU; no problems with it now.

mine does it bad when on the stand, i put a yosh slip-on on it, and it made it worse so im wondering if its a map issue and being too lean. cuz iv got it to flame out twice when cracking it from idle to wide. see what happens when i ride it at the track.

Edited by mxhonda419

I have not noticed this on '12, seems spot when I crack it hard. So when you say off idle are you going from 0-100 or cracking it to 75 or less? I even have a quick throttle tube, so it gets to 100 qicker. My bike is bone stock otherwise, I have yet to encounter this.

Ok, I stand corrected. In stock form my bike was great no hesitation no falme outs easy startee. I then added a pipe and tokyo mods ecu remap. Still pretty Ok. But, when I put in the 13.5 to 1 piston, I now have this flameout animal. Also hard to start once hot. And when you try to wick the throtle just off idle big bog when on stand. Any ideas.?