Sign in to follow this  

fork springs

i want to change out the springs in my drz 400 sm with ones that are more for my weight. i think i can handle the rear spring no problem, but up front seems a little more complicated. the calculator on the racetech site says a 6.0 on the back and 5.5 up front i am 235 and my ride weight is probably closer to 250 or so. i know race tech has a 6.0 and for up front i believe i can only get a 5.4 from cannon racing. i am not looking to get things absolutely perfect but for a couple hundred on just the springs and any improvement would be great. i have been doing as much research as i can but i just want to make sure that i am not bitting off more than i can handle in the guarage. any thoughts

I'm no suspension guru for sure but I've done a few sets of forks. If you're fairly mechanically inclined, you should not have a problem. Just take your time. The second one will take less than half the time as the first.

What year DRZ and how many miles? You'll want fresh fork fluid at the very least. That is an easy and beneficial thing to do. If it were me, I'd get a fork bushing and seal kit and replace them while you have the forks apart. that's slightly more involved but again, not too terribly difficult.

Oh yeah, get a manual. It will walk you through the process. That way you will have a better idea as to what's involved and whether you want to tackle it or not. Look for online or YouTube videos as well (Rocky Mountain ATV has some good ones).

Be honest with yourself as to your mechanical abilities and if you feel intimidated, get someone else to do it. If you have a buddy close by, get him to help you or at least be around to make sure you don't miss anything.

HTH