Sign in to follow this  

CR 250 forks

I feel dumb that I have to ask, but I can't get my fork caps off. It is an 84 cr 250, stock forks. I had seals put in this summer and they feel too soft, thought if I put another ounce of oil in each it would help.

So, question 1 is...why won't the caps come loose? I assume it is me, but I am mechanically inclined, or i thought I was.

Question 2 is...is adding a little oil in each, or changing to heavier oil better. I assume the guy at the bike shop put 10 weight in?

Any advice, or chuckles will be appreciated.

Thanks

First, loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts. Leave the bottom triple clamp bolts tightened. Then, take the proper sized socket, place it on the fork cap, and rap it with a hammer. This will help loosen a tight fork cap before removal.

You can add oil to increase bottoming resistance. Heavier oil will increase compression and rebound damping. I run 15wt and increased oil in my '84 RM forks, and I have heavier springs installed because I weigh 210. The heavier springs work well with the heavier oil. I also have Race Tech Emulators and they work great with the rest of the tune.

Thanks CamP, I have loosened the top triple, and have not tried to tap with a hammer, but man are those suckers tight. I will try again tomorrow, just don't want to break anything. I think I will start with the 15 weight, and go from there. Thanks again.