Sign in to follow this  

what gearcase oil should i run in my 02 yz 250?

getting ready to do my first oil change on this bike and wasnt sure what oil i should run, i live in maine so it never scorching out when i ride but its also not 10 degrees either, i do most of my riding at 40 or 45 to about 80 degrees or so, mostly the inbetween and wasnt sure on the oil choice. thanks!

Ask 10 people this question and you'll get 10 different answers. I run Rotella dino oil and change it every 20 hrs. (trail riding), never had an issue.

I've always used belray gear saver 80w too, but hearing so much about rotella lately, I think I'll give that a try in the spring.

I (and many others) run Ford ATF. The wet clutch seems a little smoother to me, especially with an auto clutch. I put about 500 hours on my YZ285-WR with no problems.

As said, lots of opinions. Another Rotella user here. I try and change it every 4 hours or so, sometimes go 10+ if it's a long weekend of riding.

pay the extra 5 bucks and run motorcycle specific oil

cant beat belray

like really u guys running 5 weight wal mart supertech who r u kidding? heck we dont even run supertech in our tractors lol

Been running Rotella dino, but have too many issues with finding neutral instead of 2nd on the trails. Heard comments that Rotella synth cured a guy's false neutrals.

I went with Motul 300V in my Husky, and it eliminated the problem that's common on the TE610 of not being able to find neutral.

Might give Motul or Rotella synth a shot in the YZ trans once my jug of Rotella dino is gone.

How often you change it is far more important than what you put in it. Engine oil, gear oil or ATF-F, all will be just fine if changed at appropriate intervals.

thats true...i guess peace of mind matters more to me than saving 5 bucks on oil!
Yep, the "feel good factor" certainly does count, nothing wrong with it at all. :smirk:

Yep, the "feel good factor" certainly does count, nothing wrong with it at all. :bonk:

I always feel good saving dough on oil. :smirk:

Was noticing how easy it is to find neutral on my KLX300. Running 5W20 Quaker State car oil in it. Butter smooth. :lol:

pay the extra 5 bucks and run motorcycle specific oil

cant beat belray

like really u guys running 5 weight wal mart supertech who r u kidding? heck we dont even run supertech in our tractors lol

motorcycle specific oil is a bunch of hog wash. rotella T is jaso-MA rated which meens its fine for dirtbike trannys with wet clutches. i doubt you would ever have a problem with hydraulic oil, gear oil or atf either. alot of people using all of these

Thanks for all the responses guys! Keep hearing bel ray and rotella just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck without buying something I shouldn't, I'm sure il try a new kind every change. Which from what I understand should be every 5? Hours?

I started out changing tranny oil at 5-10 hrs. based on comments from this board but found that the oil looked as new as when I first put it in. I now change at 20 hrs. and it is still pretty clean looking. Unless you're racing, I think 5 hour change intervals are a waste of money. Just my opinion.

The oil can break down and still look clean. Dont go by just how it looks. The gears break it down pretty quickly. There is no real way to tell with your eyes though.