Sign in to follow this  

new spring questions

i am 235lbs and my ride weight is about 250lbs. i know that the best thing for me to do would be to send my shock and fork out to be done but i want to try and learn how to do all these things my self and i do not need proffesional results. from the research that i have done so far the shock spring does not seem to be that hard to change out. the forks seem to be a little bit more difficult though. has anyone attempted just replacing the springs for ones that are better for your weight? if so how happy were you with the results and how hard was it to replace the fork springs? from what i have read and watched so far (and please correct me if i am wrong) to chang the shock springs i would have to un bolt the top of the shock where the clickers are and then again un bolt it to where it attaches to the spring itself. slide out the old and put in the new and then put it all back together. i am sure that all my seals and everything are fine i am just not sure that i would benefit any from really putting a lot of money into my suspension but stock it is just to soft.

At your weight doing just the springs will help some but when you change from the stock .44 spring up to a .50 or .52 (what ever is recommended for your weight) the valving will need to be changed to take full advantage of the spring change.

I know you want to learn about the forks but the real benefit comes when you change the springs and valve it correctly at the same time. Doing the valving requires some special tools from what little I know. I sent mine off to SSW and had Eddie work his magic. Most people can do spring changes but the real magic/improvement comes from the valve work where he rearrages the order, number, or size of the shims as required. Contact Eddie about the cost. I know I was real surprised at how reasonably priced it was to have him put in springs and do valve work in my forks. The difference was amazing!

I think you need some special tool for the rear shock from what I remember reading a few weeks ago. A search will net more detailed info.

Don't forget to post whatever you do to your shock valving, a pic by pic how-to would be great.

Gold valve emulators are not needed on a 2002 or newer DRZ. I love those old threads but I couldn't open the links even with my account.