Sign in to follow this  

just bought 2012 150SX, have question.

Won't get the bike for a few months but it's winter here so no biggy.

I have read a couple times that the 150SX sits high. Does anyone with a 150sx feel this way and what are people doing to get it to ride lower?

KTMs are taller than other bikes for sure. With the sag set correctly, I can barely touch on my 250 sx, but I'm almost flat-footed on my RM and CR. There is a rear suspension bushing that will net you up to a 3/4" drop. The best way to get them lower is to have the suspension modified internally to change the length of the stroke. I've been checking around, and it seems that it adds about $200 to a typical suspension service at most places. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it done on my last suspension service.

The only other thing I can think of is modifying the subframe to get the seat lower. I think MXA had something on that a while back. You can also trim the seat foam, but given that KTM seats suck with all their foam, I can't even imagine how bad they would be with less!

Ah ok, so is it the seat height that is higher or does the suspension have ore travel making the bike higher? I guess if it's the seat height I can have the subframe lowered a safe amount as not to interfere with the airbox ect. I was thinking running the next lightest recommended spring rates. might drop it a little bit more. I'll wait till I have the bike to decide if I have issues with its height. just want to know what can be done if so.

KTMs are taller than other bikes for sure. With the sag set correctly, I can barely touch on my 250 sx, but I'm almost flat-footed on my RM and CR. There is a rear suspension bushing that will net you up to a 3/4" drop. The best way to get them lower is to have the suspension modified internally to change the length of the stroke. I've been checking around, and it seems that it adds about $200 to a typical suspension service at most places. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it done on my last suspension service.

The only other thing I can think of is modifying the subframe to get the seat lower. I think MXA had something on that a while back. You can also trim the seat foam, but given that KTM seats suck with all their foam, I can't even imagine how bad they would be with less!

If you are talking about the X-Bushing, that only works with the PDS shock and isn't usable on the new SX's with linkage suspension. To lower the newer bikes similarly, you need to get a longer link, I think MXA seemed to highly recommend them in one ad.

You shouldn't also go to a lighter spring just because the bike is too tall. You need a different spring if after setting the rider sag, the static sag is either too big or too little. Look it up in your owner manual, it will explain what I am referring to.