Sign in to follow this  

Restoring an 85' KDX200

Hey everybody! I have been on this forum for a little while, but never really got around to posting much, however, i just picked up a 1985 KDX200 for 200 dollars to join my 04' kx125 and little ttr. It is pretty beat, but seems like a fun project. I will probably end up selling it because i really want to buy a drz400 this summer and i will need every dollar. But for now, i am going to make this KDX the best i can, and with a 150-175$ budget on this, hopefully i can make a buck or have a respectable machine in the end.

Anyway, the good is that this bike runs really well. The bad is that a few things are really jerry-rigged. There is some weird red tank, that was ziptied on, that needs to go. The plastics are trash. The handebars are too small for the triple clamp, and i am missing one of the two clamps that hold the bars down. There is no front brake cable. Clutch cable is just about trash. No grips. No computer or working lights. Rear sprocket is really stripped. Rear tire is bald, and finally the intake manifold and airbox boot are pretty well rotted.

Yeah, it needs lots of work, but i will try to stay on budget and make it nice, with your help of course.

Here are pics of it complete, and taken apart

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

My next step is sandblast the motor and paint it black, simple enough...

So, if anybody is interested, i will be selling this tank (whats it for anyway?), the tachometer assembly for the front wheel, and these small handebars, and hopefully someone can give me a good deal on the parts i need!

Hmmm... I restored a 91 that I got for free and spent about 800 bucks... I did a top end including powervalve parts, rebuilt the suspension, and did all new bearings.

I think your bike is an '83 by the looks of your rear shock. There is no rebound adjuster on the resevoir. My '85 200 has an adjuster knob. My '83 KDX 250 shock looks like yours.

I believe your tank is from a mid '80s kdx 80. There was an '84 KDX 200 that was available in red. I can't remember if the kdx 80 was though.

I ride my 200 one weekend every other year when I go to Maine. That motor is sweet in the trails.

Its a 84 KDX80 tank, they were available in red. The Tecate 3 wheeler was also. Im restoring a red 84 200.

and that tank can really help fund the repairs. There werent many of them made. I bet that tank would fetch at least $100 on the bay

Thanks for the reply's everybody! This thread will probably be all of my motivation for this project.

Anyway, tomorrow i will check out the markings on the bike and get a definite year, and i will definitely through that tank on ebay, hopefully it will be a great fund maker