Sign in to follow this  

250 xcw wont start! Need advice

Hi guys, so my trusty 09 250xcw has let me down... or i let her down? Anyways it wont start. so ill start at the begin of the problem.went for a ride few weeks ago in the cold weather, about -5c (23f) and lotsss of water crossings with high water due to lots of rain the day before. On the way back to town my bike went thru the deepest water hole its ever seen and the bike worked alittle crappy after that. it felt like it was just started and needed to warm up, real groggy like and rough.

so about 30min after the deep water we stopped to take a break for about 10 min. when i tryed to start the bike up it wouldnt go. so after countless kicks i checked out the the airbox and sure enough it was very wet with water behind the filter, i got all that out and took the plug out and kicked it a few times and stood it up right,drained the bowl, then when still wouldnt start we gave up and i hitched a ride back and left the poor girl out in the cold all night to get it the next day.

So once home i put a new filter on, cleaned the airbox and carb all out, also i took the reeds out cause there was a speck of dirt on it :smirk:. and when looking in at the cylinder i could see muddy looking smears on the black round things that the crank is connected too (im not very mechanically experenced lol). so i dabbed that off the best i could and put it all back together with no luck. I also had the exhast off and plug out and tipped it completly upside down and turned it over a few times and sum gas came out but it didnt seem to be watery.

now my question is where should i go from here?? one other thing is that the power valve seems to be awfully dirty with carbon, if it was stuck open could that cause the bike not to start?? Ive never takin the jug off or powervalve apart so im a little leary of getting into that right now. anyways i havnt had many problems before so i dont know what to do! if you guys could tell me the routin steps in trouble shooting that be great guys, thanks in advance

-Al the nova scotian

Ok were do i start, if you find water and especially mud you should probably take it way apart and totally clean the whole thing out. You should definately change the spark plug, I don't think you said you did. and carefully inspect around the piston. If any dirt got in there it probably looks real nasty, i'm only 16 and ive seen what dirt can do to cylinder many times including my own bikes. Sorry to bring the bad news but if dirt tore it up, it could be a much bigger job than you where expecting. So first change the spark plug, then you will definately need to go into the cylinder and inspect and pray. If youre curious about what dirt would do to amotar, look at my post about the 60.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034866&highlight=

It looks like that except on the intake side. good luck i'll keep an eye on this thread.

lol ya i hear ya there, ok ill take it off (not like im going to be riding anytime soon anyways). so to take the jug off do i just have to disconnect the powervalve and bingo bango she will slide right off? and also what are those black things? can i remove them to see the bottom of the case? im sure ill realize this stuff once i get doing it

greenisbest thats gnarly looking, christ im nervous now lol, im at work now but ill pull it apart 2morrow morning and see what it looks like and take sum pictures, one good thing that could come out of this is if it is all tore to rat shit maybe its time for the 300 kit?

lol ya i hear ya there, ok ill take it off (not like im going to be riding anytime soon anyways). so to take the jug off do i just have to disconnect the powervalve and bingo bango she will slide right off? and also what are those black things? can i remove them to see the bottom of the case? im sure ill realize this stuff once i get doing it

Doing a top-end is simple to do for people who know what they are doing, but if you need to ask, you dont know!

Get a manual!

yeah get a manual and when you need help ask, i don't pretend to be expert but i'll try and i'm sure some of the others here are experts.

alright thanks guys, i dont have any friends that are mechanical at all so im going to need to rely on you fullas! also if anyone out there knows of videos on youtube that show sum of this stuff that be great, ive searched but havnt came up with much helpfull stuff

This should help, Rockymountain really saved me on my first 2t rebuild, theyre very proffesional and easy to understand. It should be pretty close most dirtbikes are nearly the same, Whats different on your bike you can learn from a good repair manual.