Sign in to follow this  

Is the ktm150 a 144?

Hey guys, im thinking of getting either a 125 or 150 sx but will definatley get a 125 if all I have to do is get a 144 bore too be the same. Thanks

the 150 is 144cc's, but it is not just a big bore 125. the bore and stroke are different. the combination produces more torque and a broader power curve than a typical 144 set up. I had a 09 150sx. I also owned 2 yz 144's, a 06 125sx and a 06 rm125. The power difference is worth the extra coin. especially if you weigh over 170 lbs. (i'm about 200lbs).

fwiw, the 06 125sx felt stronger than either of my yz 144's.

the 150 is 144cc's, but it is not just a big bore 125. the bore and stroke are different. the combination produces more torque and a broader power curve than a typical 144 set up. I had a 09 150sx. I also owned 2 yz 144's, a 06 125sx and a 06 rm125. The power difference is worth the extra coin. especially if you weigh over 170 lbs. (i'm about 200lbs).

fwiw, the 06 125sx felt stronger than either of my yz 144's.

This was great to read :smirk: I just bought a 2012, get it in the spring.

Hey guys, im thinking of getting either a 125 or 150 sx but will definatley get a 125 if all I have to do is get a 144 bore too be the same. Thanks

The 07+ 125 is a potent lil machine, especially if you spend a few bux on the motor. My lil guy has been port/polished and has some crank mods done to it. I can say without a doubt, its quicker then any 250F I've ever ridden and its pretty damn reliable as well.

Just a bit of history...

The 144 starts with a 125 motor base and the differences lie in the crank/rod/cylinder bore and piston. They also have a 1mm larger carburetor then the 125 as well as a slightly different ignition map on the ECU.

The first gen 144's (07/08) had some very strange issues with detonation and clipping piston rings through the ports. So the motors would go catastrophic on you all of a sudden.

KTM had a recall on those motors and they basically put an updated cylinder and head on them with a slightly modified piston ring setup.

That "updated kit" wound up being a lot more reliable and ended up being the base of the 09+ 150. They changed the name of the bike from 144 to get rid of the negative stigmatism and called it a 150. Over the years the 150 went through several iterations. When doing research I found there are at least 4 different cylinders and heads that were made from 09 to 2011. They also used a 125 carburetor on the 150's, which wound up solving the fueling issues.

All in all the 09+ 150 is a stellar bike, with the 2011 having an updated PDS system and most people consider, the best year for the little bikes as the 2012 model's are heavier and have some issues with optimal power output due to an airbox location/size issue from the linked suspension.

the 150 is a bored and stroked 125, but if your planing on make a 125 a 150 save yourself the money and just get the 150. To make a 125 a 150 you have to put new rod and possibly a crank don't count me on the that one, new piston and rings.