Sign in to follow this  

What oil? 2005 silverado105.000

Been using synthetic in my 2005 silv.w/5.3 and 105.000mi.

shoild i stick with the synthetic or the high milage oil(75.000)what do u all use?

Also who's oil is Wal Mart's brand

Thanks

Doug

Wal Mart's stuff is a lowest bidder deal-last I read it was SOPUS (Shell Petroleum) who also produces Pennziol and Quaker State.

IDK if the Wally World oil is the same product as their others.

As for what oil to run...are you encountering problems with your current oil? Consumption? Difficult availability?

If not, I'd keep using what you've been using. 105k isn't "High mileage" despite what the marketing department tries to tell you.

At least in a modern engine that's been maintained it isn't. Neglected and abused, sure.

I switched to Castrol High-Mileage when my 2002 GMC Envoy hit 195K. It had started using almost a quart between changes and that is what my mechanic suggested. So far (210K) oil consumption has been reduced by nearly 50%.

• Like 1

here is my breakdown per vehicle

Porsche Boxster S (3.2L)

-Motul 8100 Xcess 5/40 5k intervals (or 6 months)

BMW X3

-Mobil 1 0/40 7.5k intervals

Saab 9-3 turbo tuned and modified to about 300hp

-Shell Rotella T6 (5/40 I think?) 3.5k intervals due to inherent sludge problems in these engines

happy with all my oils and will not change

105k on an LSx motor is nothing, Stick with the synthetic your using if you're not having any issues.

If your motor is having an oil consumption problem, it's not the oil. It's actually the motor. Some/very few engines need new piston/rings put in due to oil consumption. It's not a recall but is a TSB. I work in the parts dept at a GM dealership and do maybe 1 every two months. All ranging from the 2002 to 2005 vehicles. Our Tech that does them has them out, rebuilt & in and running in about 6 hrs or so.

I run Amsoil in my diesel and gasser 95 Z71, My wifes 94 Impala SS gets Mobil 1. I did a head/cam swap at 135,xxx. Cylinders & bearings looked new. At 174,xxx we decided to tear it down and we're doing a 383 build. Cylinders have no ridge but bearings are showing some wear due to using nitrous.

With synthetics you can extend your change intervals as well. dino oil at 3-4k and synthetics at 8-10k and usually more if you do an analysis.

My neighbor has a new silverado and I have a 08 Accord since new...both have on board oil sensors that tell you when to change the oil. Accord goes to 10,000 before it says its 10% and needs an oil change...at 80k now. Neighbors silverado goes about the same. I must admit that this scares the crap out of me since Its been pounded into my head...LOF at 3k.

So what makes the new vehicles ability to go so long before oil changes?

My neighbor has a new silverado and I have a 08 Accord since new...both have on board oil sensors that tell you when to change the oil. Accord goes to 10,000 before it says its 10% and needs an oil change...at 80k now. Neighbors silverado goes about the same. I must admit that this scares the crap out of me since Its been pounded into my head...LOF at 3k.

So what makes the new vehicles ability to go so long before oil changes?

Oil quality has gotten much better, along with the additive packages. Engines have tighter tolerances (ring seal), much less blow-by and they have much less crankcase venting/porosity issues (if oil leaks out, air and dirt get in).

But that said, sludge is still sludge, dirt is still dirt, and contamination is still contamination.

Only thing I've ever seen wear out from changing oil too often is the drain plug threads.

Which brings up another subject...10k oil changes, but what about greasing? Well, if there is any grease zerks. Haven't really looked under a new truck in a few years, but last time I was hard pressed to find any.

I typically recommend using whatever the previous owner used on vehicles. Don't switch to synthetic or you will most likely run into leaks.

I have a '04 Silverado (5.3L) that I bought about 10 months ago. I use Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 as that's what the previous owner used. I use a WIX filter but that's personal preference, I've always used WIX when available.

By switching to synthetics you won't gain any leaks. Synthetic lubricants actually have conditioners in it to help seals. Dino oil drys out seals. Either way, I would not run ANY dino oil past 6k miles. No matter how good, it breaks down all the same. Synthetics are able to hold up much, much longer. The LSx motors are great and last awhile in most cases. But like any manufacturer, there are a few that have issues. I see them everyday at the dealership.

But any 2011 and newer gm gets Dexos (synthetic blend oil) and Camaros, vettes get Mobil 1. The Duramax's still get Delvac 1300 15/40.

Edited by SAPPERS

I've been using Pennzoil full synthetic for years. Currently have a 1999 and a 2008 Silverado 1/2 extended cab pickups. 4.8L in the '99 and 5.3L in the '08. ~ 250,000 on the '99 and 71,000 on the '08. I used Pennzoil full synthetic in several vehicles before these two and I'll be using it in the 2012 Silverado I ordered two days ago. It's been working for me for a long time so I see no reason to switch to something else.

I'm a big believer that it is more important to regularly change oil and filter than what brand the oil is.

Remember if you are planning on a long oil change interval, use a top shelf oil filter too.

I believe only the very first generation of group IV syn oils had issues with seals, and that was 30+ years ago.