Sign in to follow this  

My first 300 project

So I decided to try a Ktm 300. Have an awesome wr450, but sometimes it is to much for really nasty slick riding. It's also a tank! Found an 03 mxc with a clean title and a blown motor for 600$. It's got an oversize tank, pro-action sus., rad. guards, good tires, and bark busters. The bad, it needs A LOT of tlc. Took the motor apart and the top ring had broken and scored the cylinder in 2 places. Everything else was minor. Here is the list so far.

Cylinder repair, 230$ at Langcourt. Great job, by the way!

Top end KTM piston kit, 250$

Mount for Steering damper, 85$ on eBay.

Wheel bearings, 40$

Throttle cable, 15$

Reeds, 50$

Repair stator harness, free

Fix subrame, free

Bolt kit, 25$ eBay

Stock pipe, free from a good friend

Misc, 35$

Still need to get fork seals, chain and sprockets, and a steering damper.

Can't wait to get it all done and ride it! JLow

So I have been getting parts for a Scotts damper mount and got a fastway FIT handlebar mount that integrates your barkbusters. I get it in the mail today and it won't bolt up. Turns out it has a GPR handlebar mount allready on it. Damn. So now I need a stock lower handlebar mount to bolt the fastway to. Anybody got one? Anybody need a GPR mount? PM me. JLow

So here is an update. Got the engine mostly back together. Radiators back on and filled. My friend powder coated the triple clamps, subframe, frame guard, and the old GPR mount(going to sell it). Had to replace the brake pedal bearings(7$ on eBay for two, 608-2RS C3). Replaced push rod and heim joint on rear brake,20$ eBay. Took the front wheel off and found one of the bearings disintegrated, damn! Found a stock handlebar mount (30$) on eBay. Cleaned and repacked the steering stem bearings. Got the chain and sprockets. Waiting on fork seals and a couple of gaskets(in the mail) for the PV and exhaust flange. I cannot even begin to tell you guys how ragged out this thing is. The hard part is I have been doing all of this one handed(left at that) due to just having surgery on the r/forearm, except for cylinder, thanks Nate.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/Jlow81/59984282.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/Jlow81/aff0cf27.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/Jlow81/c2ac2664.jpg

JLow

Hi im at one stage behind you on the build of my 03 exc 300 and mine was pretty much a wreck but she ran . Im just waiting on a load of parts to come tommorow.. This is my first ktm 2T but my previous ktm was a 450 rfs back in 2003.

Got the bike all back together. Found the kick starter bolt had been broken off inside the gear. Drilled it and pounded a torx socket down into the hole and used an impact driver to get it out. The spacer behind the kicker was missing. Made a new one from the parts kit of bolts I got from eBay. Both of the rebound adjuster's were froze. Luckily it was just in the cap and easy to fix and clean. New seals and fluid in the forks from Smart Performance. Thanks Dave! Both chain adjuster bolts were froze. Got one out. The other broke off twice and I had to drill and re-tap. Pain in the ass! Bike is ready to go. Haven't started the bike yet. Waiting for the arm/wrist to heal a little longer. Will post a pic of the bike later tonight. JLow

Started bike up today. Second kick, bam, like I rode it yesterday. Took down the driveway, won't run past half throttle. Checked a whole bunch of stuff, haven't figured it out yet. Started a new thread looking for advice. JLow

Found my jetting was way off on the top. Dropped the main jet several sizes, much better. Waiting on a couple of needles to try and clean up the midldle. Will post the results. JLow