Sign in to follow this  

garage floor paint

really liked the epoxy sheild grey/flake garage floor paint, went in to check it out and its a little pricey for my 3 car garage. at least $250. anybody else ever painted their garage floor? what did you use and what was the price? my garage floor looks terrible and needs a nice clean up :smirk:

250 really aint a bad price if its a 2 part epoxy paint. dont skimp on floor paint, you will regret it when it starts to peel up.

$250 is about right. The good epoxy stuff is pricey.

Be sure to clean it well and primer it, it's good to get the primer tinted to close to the color you are applying.

You can also just use rustoleum floor paint but you will have to redue it every couple years. It is water base and won't take as long to dry with very little odor. It's just not as long term durable.

Dont do it the stuff in the store is all crap the first time you drive your car in with hot tires it peals up.............spend the chash and have it done.

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/

I know some people that used this, applied by themselves and it came out GREAT. This is what i will be doing my floor with next. The most important thing is to prep the floor properly

yea if possible you want to use a grinder to prep the floor for best results, 285 is cheap for a three car garage, good stuff used in race shops cost a lot more then that. make sure you dont have any moisture issues before painting because if you do nothing will work.

250 doesn't sound to bad at all, but remember the paint is only as good as the primer it's on....lol

I used the Rust-oleum kit from Lowes and it has worked worked great. I have painted two, two car garage floors now and both look excellent.

Most important advice I can share is spend extra time prepping the floor correctly. Degrease and acid etch. The acid comes in the kit.

And give yourself adequete dry time dont rush it, the temperature needs to be perfect outside not raining (humidity is bad).

I rushed to paint my second garage and my car tires pulled some paint because I painted in March while it was cold and raining. My first garage was painted when it was 80 degrees outside, perfectly dry and it is still mint after 5 years. Even withstands high impact such as dropping a sledge hammer etc..

Good luck!

I put this in my garage last spring:

https://rocksolidfloors.com/

Had it done professionally. Cleans up easily, resists to impacts, spinning tires, studded tires... even has a 25-year warranty.

It was really expensive, but worth it to me.

The prep is the single most important factor in a quality paint job.Spend the time and do it right,The time and energy spent on a meticulous prep job will be rewarded with a finish coat that will last a very long time.Follow the direction's,don't skimp,and take your time.Good luck!!

id hit up garagejournal.com forums. They have a whole section on flooring and can help you make a good decision based on what you will be using the garage for. Also a cool place to chat if you are a greasemonkey.

Epoxy floors are one of my company's service's (Commercial painting).

Prep is THE most important step period.

The hi-solids epoxy/urethane clearcoat system I use costs me over $800.00 in materials alone for the average 3 car garage. The store bought coatings aren't bad, problem is most people dont perform the proper prep. The system I use from Sherwin Williams is a killer system for hardcore abuse and colorholdout. The store bought coatings are a cheaper blend of epoxy and many dont include a urethane clearcoat. Either way any coating will fail and come loose if the surface is not preped properly.

Grind or shotblast the floor and thoroughly vacumn the floor. Make sure all trowel glaze is removed and your surface in the meat of the fine aggregate( portland/sand). Then you are good to go. Dont rely on etching. That process is better than nothing but you are counting on a consistant chemical reaction to occur to break down the glaze and inconsistancies in surface occur.

Bottom line, It's better to properly prep the floor and use a cheap coating than to use an expensive epoxy/urethane over a poorly prepped floor.

Edited by dogfish

I used the Rust-oleum kit from Lowes and it has worked worked great. I have painted two, two car garage floors now and both look excellent.

Most important advice I can share is spend extra time prepping the floor correctly. Degrease and acid etch. The acid comes in the kit.

And give yourself adequete dry time dont rush it, the temperature needs to be perfect outside not raining (humidity is bad).

I rushed to paint my second garage and my car tires pulled some paint because I painted in March while it was cold and raining. My first garage was painted when it was 80 degrees outside, perfectly dry and it is still mint after 5 years. Even withstands high impact such as dropping a sledge hammer etc..

Good luck!

That's what I did for my two car garage. It came out real nice. I borrowed a small buffer/scrubber from work when I did the acid bath. I also let it sit over 4 days before walking on it. I don't park a car in the garage so I can't say how hot tires react. The kit ran about $95 I think. If I were doing it again, I would add a clear coat of epoxy over the base color with chips after they dried thoroughly. As is, I can barely feel the color chips on the floor. They don't come up, but a top coat would have been really sweet.

Lots of options for floor coatings and I'm repeating some of the previous recommendations, here is what I learned from doing a few:

Proper prep is the most important but it costs time and money. The Home Depot and Lowes kits contain prep materials but I suggest starting with prep only products to insure that the concrete is free of oil and properly etched.

The two part urethanes are the most chemical and UV resistant, if that is important at least do a urethane clear coat. The best is a linear urethane like DuPont Imron, far more chemical and abrasion resistance than any other coating but a chemical respirator is required during application, and it is very expensive.

The epoxies are good, the two part epoxies the best. But the epoxies are susceptible to UV damage, top coat with urethane if you have sun exposure or want more chemical resistance.

These product require time for the chemicals to cross link for a durable finish and low temps delay the cure, heed the label warning about time and temp.

In summary I think the water based products are OK for a home workshop/garage, they certainly are low cost, but if you want long life make sure you do a proper prep and quickly wipe up any chemical spills. My son put a water based coating in his new garage 4 years ago and it is holding up well (the new products claim better hot tire resistance). I used Imron on a garage and workshop many years ago and IMO it is the best. I put a Behr water based epoxy on aged concrete several years ago and haven't had any problems with hot tire marks, or oil and mild shop chemicals; but I did two pre preps to remove oil, and etch the concrete, before using the kit. I've twice used Porch and Deck enamels where I didn't need hot tire resistance and a high level of chemical resistance, and they provided a good finish at a much lower price point.