Sign in to follow this  

Just got a Trail Tech Vapor!

Hi guys! just got my Trail Tech Vapor in today. I made some mounts out of a couple of thin metal strips that I bolted to the handlebar clamps. made up the speedometer wire and magnet... can you believe, the default tire size input is just right. :smirk:

This is a really cool piece of equipment. Even though I could not get the temperature wire to fit under the spark plug, so I bolted it to one of the exhaust bolts for now... Don't really care what the temp is running anyway. I have had the fuel boiling and gurgling out the vent tube being too hot before. So unless it catches on fire, I really don't care what the actual temp is.:bonk:

As for now, I have not connected the power wire to the battery. I don't know if it will not draw power from the battery while its not running or will it drain my NiMH battery pack just setting in the garage?

I was thinking that I would connect the power through the on/off switch of the Tusk Dual Sport Kit I am getting ready to install... What have you guys done with this on your installation.

Now I 'll have to figure out just how many combinations you can use with only three buttons.:lol:

Whoo Hoo! It does work! Speedo, Tach and temp are all working... "That Was Easy"! (Like the Staples commercial says)

What do you guys think about the Trail Tech Vapor... Should I have gotten something else?

Perc

the amt of power drawn is in the mA range and after 15 minutes or so of no front wheel movement, it shuts off the backlight, which by the way is way dialed down until you hook it up to an external source (bike battery). they are decent units for what they cost, but can be fragile if not protected, mine has done 1000's of miles of cali and baja deserts, been through a few enduros and a couple of gp's and its still working fine.

it doesnt fit. It took me a frustrating hour to figure it out. why wastr money on the tusk kit. diy

it doesnt fit. It took me a frustrating hour to figure it out. why wastr money on the tusk kit. diy

HaHa ! :bonk:

I know that it won't fit straight up because it's all "Universal" parts. However, these are all of the parts that I need to do the job... at the lowest price. :smirk:

Perc

I installed a Vapor in '07. It has worked well for the most part but I have had to fiddle with it a bit. The spark plug is hard enough to deal with by itself so I never considered using the plug mounted sensor option. I started off with a sensor which mounted on the oil drain plug. It worked to measure oil temperature but the drain plug wall was so thin it eventually broke. I then installed a sensor, Trail Tech #7500-3100, on a cylinder fin between the exhaust ports. This has worked great. I drilled a hole in the fin and mounted it with a screw, washer & nut. For the unit, I machined a housing and mounted it to the bar clamps. The only other problem I have had with it was due to vibration. I installed some vibration dampers to the mount and have had no problems since.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Edited by PMedina

Looks like we are going to have close to the same set up. I just installed the Vapor today and I will be putting the tusk kit on when I get a rear fender. I dont think you can beat it for the price.

Looks like I may be running a white fender though.

The temp sensor will not fit down around the spark plug, It just wont fit period. I had it behind the top engine mount bolt for a while. Now I have it under the head bolt right in front of the spark plug. The temp readings went up about 100 degrees after I moved the location.

Thanks, Using this head bolt should be recommended instead of the spark plug. I really didn't think that I could get it on the spark plug, but I thought that I read where someone had, and after all... it was in the instructions! :smirk:

Perc

Edited by Perc82

Yeah I thought that too, I tried to get it under the spark plug, but it just doesn't fit. The instructions are generic for every motorcycle so you can't really blame them for not mentioning on one make and model that it wont work.