Sign in to follow this  

i know it sounds stupid but...

really want to ride tomorrow and a tube was twisted in the 250 and has a small leak in it from when i changed the tire... it was the original tube on the bike, but i digress.

so A) what is the PROPER way of installing a tube that's not a total PITFA

and :smirk: if i just wanted to ride for an hour around in my home woods would fix a flat work well enough to seal it? since its a moderately slow leak?

just go to any walmart or whatever n get a tube patch kit for a bicycle. itll hold air just fine.

proper way.... get the tire halfway on, rub soapy water all over the tube then feed the tube in, put the valve stem threw the hole and thread the nut on it, put a pound or 2 of air in the tube to make it semi round then finish mounting the tire

i guess i did forget to put air back in it when i was putting it in...

and the only reason i asked about fixaflat was because i always have a can or two in my toolbox, and have it available.

If you change the tube do this. Put just enough air in the tube to make it round, not much though, then sprinkle baby powder on it. The powder will keep it free and easier to work and the air will keep you from pinching it when poping the bead back in. Use plenty of soapy water when working the bead in and out.

Check out you-tube. There are a few good videos that show how.

If you change the tube do this. Put just enough air in the tube to make it round, not much though, then sprinkle baby powder on it. The powder will keep it free and easier to work and the air will keep you from pinching it when poping the bead back in. Use plenty of soapy water when working the bead in and out.

This is a great way to change the tire and tube but just go baby powder all the way and you will be fine. When you put air in the tube you pick it up and let it drape over your finger, you want it to crease and fall over your finger, not so much air that it stays round. Just enough air to give it shape.

Edited by mdcrazy
added more info

If I was in your situation, I would go ahead and use the fix a flat as a temporary measure. Then I would just replace the tube later.

If I was in your situation, I would go ahead and use the fix a flat as a temporary measure. Then I would just replace the tube later.

exactly fix a flat to ride today, def get a new tube. i never trust a patched tube in my bikes. Esp if your going way out in the woods or doing track riding.

ive always used windex on tire changes. havent pinched a tube yet. tires just pop on really easy. good thing about window cleaner is that it also evaporates fairly quickly

i watched a couple of the motoworld videos or whichever one was sponsored by bikebandit, made me realize what i did wrong!

and yea i was going to go down to the bike shop since my friends working today and he was going to throw a new one in for me for the cost of the tube, woke up late and the shop closed in a half an hour bleh fixaflat until next week!